Replaced water pump 150hp Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced water pump 150hp Yamaha

Need advice from someone that has experience in what to use on bolts so they don’t seize up until next replacement. I have Yamaha
    grease but which I planed to use but the bolts that I removed looked like they had never seez which I thought was not to be used
    on aluminum ? Any guidance would be appreciated.

never use copper based stuff on aluminum

Comment

From My F150 manual:

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

OMC Triple Guard Gease is the bomb !! If there was a better grease for the salt water....... I never seen, heard, used it
        I been a Marine Tech 40+ Yrs

Comment

ARrgg ! Can't understand why I can't edit ?? I've have been........

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
            ARrgg ! Can't understand why I can't edit ?? I've have been........
            You can't edit after a certain amount of time. I'm thinking an hour or so..
            Scott

Comment

I may be playing with fire but never used loctite or gasket maker when replacing water pump. Too much crap to fight with and clean next time.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                I may be playing with fire but never used loctite or gasket maker when replacing water pump. Too much crap to fight with and clean next time.
                I'm the same, no sealer, gasket maker. I put just a touch of Yamaha's waterproof grease on the threads-(Not what Yamaha calls for.)
                Scott

Comment

A big factor is likely where the boat is used and how it's used... salt, how much salt, seasonal or year round, stays in the water or on a trailer and always flushed, etc, etc.

Another factor, of course, is how long between changes. How long was it since you last had it changed?

Never seize is fine - as mentioned above, though, as long as it's a metal free version. Myself, I use Merc's Perfect Seal on this kind of thing. I started using it on the shackles I use for my mooring and I was blown away by it... 6 - 7 months sitting in salt water and the stuff is still there! Pretty amazing stuff. I'm sure it would still be there after at least a year, too. That's a pretty harsh environment to "test" it in - that stuff sticks like nobody's business.
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

I'm the same, no sealer, gasket maker. I put just a touch of Yamaha's waterproof grease on the threads-(Not what Yamaha calls for.)
                    Yep. Any bolt that lives in the salt water directly gets a touch of grease. Including the thermostat bolts.

Comment

Mercury stopped making "Perfect seal" OMC gasket sealant and
                      permatex "Aviation tack" are the equivalent. Merc's 2-4-C grease is good stuff. Most marine gaskets don't need any sealants, their already impregnated. For yammys w/p I use "Gaskacinch" on the O ring to keep it in place when installing w/p housing... Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                        Mercury stopped making "Perfect seal"
                        FYI, it's still available from Merc. Just changed the part number.
                        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                        X