Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Engine to remove water after running during cold days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Engine to remove water after running during cold days.

I heard that turning over an outboard with the stop pin removed is a good practice to push water out when using on cold days.

The theory is that it helps remove water and the engine will not start with the pin removed and thus the impeller will not be damaged.

Does cranking help with pushing out water when the engine is tilted down??

I run on cold days duck hunting and am always worried about freezing. I tilt it down fully when I remove the boat on the trailer. Then raise it up and down a couple times and wait 10 minutes for the water to drain. Just want to know what the experts think about cranking the motor with the pin removed? Does it help with water drainage??

Engine is self draining. You can tip it up and down a few times if you like...wont hurt. Turning an engine over with it out of the water is never good idea..the impeller needs water for lube and cooling itself.

I use my engine in the dead of winter bird hunting and seal hunting...I personally never had any trouble. But I do know people in Labrador who have had impeller freeze slightly when engine left up in extreme cold weather...most just drop motor down into the water and wait a few minutes for any ice to melt in the pump before starting.

Comment

Operated mine in winter many years. Never a problem. I do like you though and lower it to drain then raise/lower one more time just to drain more and then store it all the way down so that no water can collect and freeze in it. Occasionally have ice in the top end preventing it from peeing, but it will thaw within a few minutes idling at the dock.

Comment

those pumps do not pump air so spinning the motor/pump does no good to push anything out

Comment

Yup - probably over thinking this one again, Byron

Just leave it vertical and all will be good. Nothing else needed - don't even need to "tilt it up and down".
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. Appreciate your feedback. This was an overthinking situation. Tilt and drain and keep in the water on colds days. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X