How to clean drive shaft properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean drive shaft properly

I have a 2019 EFI F40LA motor. I boat in freshwater and want to know what kind of emery cloth should be used to clean the drive shaft before greasing. I am assuming that emery cloth should be used to clean before applying light grease. Also, should the shift and drive shaft splines be lightly greased to avoid locking?? I am assuming that the top of these shafts should not be greased at all since this could cause locking?? I plan to use Yamaha WR No 2 grease for the splines. Your comments are appreciated as always. Thanks.

Are the splines that bad that you need emery cloth? If it's just old grease, wipe it off and just reapply new grease. Keep it simple. Anything that cleans oil could be used if you want to get more of the old stuff off. There's probably a dozen products that can do that easily. Yes, do not do the top of the shaft. Any decent waterproof marine grease will be fine.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

3M Scotchbrite pad….then grease it all over….

Comment

if it is rusty, then I would use a wire wheel to get most of it off

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I will use a Scotchbrite pad to clean the shaft and just wipe off the old grease on the upper splines and shift shaft splines.

Comment

The driveshaft is some type of stainless alloy, so there shouldn’t be much “rust” on it…..the upper splines are where I spend time cleaning and coating with grease….so you never experience the very bad upper spline corrosion/ unable to remove lower unit nightmare….

Comment

Working...
            X