Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil from water intake

Hi all,

Hope someone can help, my 70 hp 2 stroke autolube 1989. changed the gear oil earlier today and when i was pumping the oil from underneath when was coming out from top i put the top screw back in. And gave a couple more pumps and the gear oil came out the waterintake rasters. This cant be good..

Thanks for reading

Rober kelly

Should not overfill and pressure up the case.
    I would pull the top screw out to drain to that level and put screw back in.
    then hope you did not push a seal out.

Or drain it and pressure test the lower unit to make sure

Comment

Thanks for reply Y without much pressur the oil gusels out the waterintake rasters. Think a seal or gasket must be blown out . removing the lower unit. Bolt under the anode broke off. More problems, maybe a tip Y.?

Comment

Shouldn't be hard to find with that much oil coming out.

Which bolt broke off? Can you still remove the LU?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html

Bolt #9? If the head snapped off, the LU should still drop leaving you a broke stud (hopefully) to put a vise grip on..

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Re the leak, http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html

There's seals (#27) below the water pump separating oil from water. I'm guessing you may end up there...

You pressurized the LU (with oil), the oil pushed upward into the WP itself(past the seals), then ran back down to the pick up.. They were likely ready for replacement in either case.

Please post back what you find..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-10-2015, 06:01 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

you blew out the seals.
          you simply CANNOT fill the unit, install the top plug and give it a few more pumps.
          it will hydraulicly push the seals out.
          just like a hydraulic jack or the trim pistons work.

I see it a couple times a year.

time to remove the lower and the water pump and the prop and inspect the seals for damage.

Comment

Yep bolt number 9 broke off under the anode, cant get the lower unit off. , seems like thats the only bolt left, the head snapped off the bolt, trying to get a better screw extractor set, , but. You say i dont need to take #9 off at all?

Thanks for replying all, much appreciated!

Comment

If the head broke off the bolt, all that's left is a stud (no head to hold the LU on) and yes, the LU should come off. Check and make sure all you bolts are indeed off. Lower the engine and let gravity help pull the LU away from the mid section.

IDK how you shifter is attached to the LU, wether its splined or ? You'll need to check the manual for that or wait for someone to chime in..
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-11-2015, 08:14 PM.
              Scott

Comment

I called the previeus owner, when he removed the L.U. He broke that bold to and had put in a new bolt fully treated, so today going to get some hss drills and a screw retrector bit..the spine that hold the gearselectorrod needs to be drilled out to... Wil take some photos..

Thanks for the reply!

Robert kelly
                Last edited by Robertkelly; 06-12-2015, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Do not use ezy outs, or screw removers or anything else, because when, not if, you snap one off, you are in ten times the sh!t than you are in now.

Comment

Drilled out the bolt, lower casing came off, removed the complete waterpump housing, gaskets and ringseals. They dont look that good. So ordering a set gaskets and rubber rings, so thats bit light end of the tunnel as iam not a mecanic,

What is the best way to remove the 2 oilrings (no 27) and howfar the new rings going in?

Thanks all and a good weekend!

Rob,

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                      Do not use ezy outs, or screw removers or anything else, because when, not if, you snap one off, you are in ten times the sh!t than you are in now.
                      What a misnomer.

I used to be familiar with a hard on. An ezy out should be known as a hard out. If you thought you had a problem before the use of an ezy out just wait until you use (and break) the ezy out.

Can you say EDM? Here is a video of maybe Rodbolt as a former machinist using the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13kiM7bqyY

Comment

Originally posted by Robertkelly View Post
                        Drilled out the bolt, lower casing came off, removed the complete waterpump housing, gaskets and ringseals. They dont look that good. So ordering a set gaskets and rubber rings, so thats bit light end of the tunnel as iam not a mecanic,

What is the best way to remove the 2 oilrings (no 27) and howfar the new rings going in?

Thanks all and a good weekend!

Rob,

A service manual for your motor will state what special tools to use to remove and install seals with.

But you can just guess how deep if you cannot measure before removing them if you do not have the special tool.
                        maybe someone has measured this on your motor before, all you have to do now is find him so he can post what the measurements were

Comment

If you measure the old ones, you have the measurments, no?

Once that "block" is out and no driveshaft in the way, it should be quite easy to pop out the old ones..
                          Scott

Comment

yes I spent many hours with an EDM.
                            10/32 taps on casing cutters.
                            yes easy outs suck.
                            why folks wish to install the top plug and add a few pumps is way beyond my comprehension.

but now its simply remove the case, pressure test. replace seals as nessasary.

Comment

Got the gaskets , oilseals etc etc all installed, new bolts. Works perfect again. Hope she keeps the oil in! Anyways thanks for reply,

Comment

Working...
                              X