no cooling water from the tell tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no cooling water from the tell tale

Problem: 2003 225 hp 4 stroke port engine is pumping water thru engine but nothing comes out of the tell tale. If I open the flush valve connector warm water comes out. The engine is not overheating. I ran a length of thick monofilament leader in about 18 inches and still nothing. I know these engines have corrosion problems and I'm wondering if this is related. The water pump was replaced last season. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dennis

Originally posted by dmg83153 View Post
    Problem: 2003 225 hp 4 stroke port engine is pumping water thru engine but nothing comes out of the tell tale. If I open the flush valve connector warm water comes out. The engine is not overheating. I ran a length of thick monofilament leader in about 18 inches and still nothing. I know these engines have corrosion problems and I'm wondering if this is related. The water pump was replaced last season. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dennis
    The water runs through the fuel cooler and the voltage regulator before being expelled from the tale tale.
    Try pulsing a little bit of compressed air back through the system (Don't give it to much pressure)

Comment

Thanks. I'll try it. I also ran a water hose back down the tell tale hose. I'm wondering if there is a split in the hose somewhere. I couldn't see anything obvious. Is the entire length of the tell-tale hose visible or does it travel inside the exhaust cowling?

Thanks
      Dennis

Comment

Great. I will give it a try. Why does this tube go to a fuel cooler and regulator? It's hot water leaving the engine?
        Thanks for you help.

Dennis

Comment

Why does this tube go to a fuel cooler and regulator? It's hot water leaving the engine?
          Its not hot water that has passed through the thermostats, that goes back down into the exhaust.

It is a little of the water that has been pumped up and supplied to the engine, bled off on a fairly serpentine route. Very clever engineering, really - three birds with one stone - cool the recirculating fuel in the fuel rail, cool the diodes in the rectifier, then allowed to flow out where you can see it and know that at least some parts of the cooling system are working.

Comment

Thanks
            Dennis
            My 200 4 stroke was doing the same thing. I had to blast it with compressed air too. I started at the voltage regulator/rectifier (which I was replacing anyway) water tube and used a couple of quick blasts of air. Mine now has more water than I have ever seen exiting.

Comment

Working...
            X