1997 era multifunction gauge issues - change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 era multifunction gauge issues - change

Looking for additional info with the gauges.
    This is all new to me, and I never saw working gauges.

1997 Yamaha 115, MFG gauges are shot.
    Was given replacement used gauges and was told that they "should work" after changing the connectors.

All the wires are the same colors on both gauges.
    Both gauges are slightly different and I can't find numbers on either.

The speedo appears to be working (haven't actually checked the speed though).
    Fuel reads full, clock works, battery voltage displays voltage.

The tach is slightly different. The old gauge has 4 icons along the bottom.
    The new gauge has 3 (looks like water temp is missing).

The "kit install instructions" (http://www.mbcboats.com/perfbull/Yam...KitInstall.pdf) show DIP switches on the back of the tach.
    My tach does not have any DIP switches.

The old gauge has 9 wires going through the strain relief into the gauge.
    The new gauge has 9 of the same color wires, but only 8 go into the gauge.

The gray wire is terminated with one of the bullet connectors, and does not go into the gauge.

From what I can tell, that grey wire is part of the trim indicator.
    But after searching this site, I think that may be one of the alarms. I tried grounding the grey wire last night where it comes out of the connector and there is an alarm that sounds.

Since I never saw working gauges, I do not know what to look for when running the engine.
    The tach appears to work correctly and there is an indicator over the green icon.
    The trim does not work, but the bottom bar is showing.

My "new-old" gauge looks like this one

Yamaha Outboard Motor Digital Multifunction Tachometer Gauge 1993 Older | eBay

Something else I noticed last night. The tach doesn't always come on and the two gauges I have have two different colors of back light. One appears amber and the other has a green tint.

Appreciate any assistance.
    Thanks,
    Duane

the gray wire is overheat visual.
    that missing fouth icon, and will now go to the speedo.
    the dip switchs should be off,off and off.
    if the replacement speedo does not have the overtemp icon the gray wire simply wont be used.

if your replacement tach has no dip switchs then set the dial to the 12 pole position.

and yes that gray wire connects to the pink and if you ground the pink at the engine OR ten pin harness OR ground the gray wire you get a tone.

DO NOT confuse the pink wire in the ten pin main with the pink in the trim harness.
    same color different functions.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      the gray wire is overheat visual.
      that missing fouth icon, and will now go to the speedo.
      the dip switchs should be off,off and off.
      if the replacement speedo does not have the overtemp icon the gray wire simply wont be used.

if your replacement tach has no dip switchs then set the dial to the 12 pole position.

and yes that gray wire connects to the pink and if you ground the pink at the engine OR ten pin harness OR ground the gray wire you get a tone.

DO NOT confuse the pink wire in the ten pin main with the pink in the trim harness.
      same color different functions.
      I don't have DIP switches for the tach. And the Speedo has 4 switches which I set to MFG instructions.

I have the dial set to 12.

The panel the old gauges were in is in rough shape, so I am making a new panel that will actually cover up all of the buggered up dash cut out.
      Nobody carries a 3 3/8" hole saw

Went to test last night before the rain and now the tach does not work at all, as well as the one bar from he trim graph.

Did I read correctly somewhere that I may not have a trim indicator when switching the gauges?
      Thanks,
      Duane

Comment

no
        you may have a stuck trim sender or you wired it wrong.

until about 1999-2001 most Yamaha motors used a 3 wire sender.
        since 2001 ALL US market motors used a 2 wire sender.

digital tachs made since about 2001 have switchs for 4 stroke,different alternator poles and 2 or 3 wire trim senders.

Comment

Well it has been cold and raining.....

Where do I look for the trim sender?
          Something that may work with a slight rap if stuck?
          Thanks,
          Duane

Comment

An update for those that offered assistance.
            After briefly seeing my tach work (but no trim) the gauge stopped working all together. I tried everything referred to me but in the end I gave up and bought a new tach.
            The tach works - now I find the trim is maxed out. A quick google search leads me to check the sender on the motor, and true to form, mine is brittle and falls apart when I touch it. Manually moving the sender seems to work fine - off to my local Yamaha dealer.
            Thanks again.
            Thanks,
            Duane

Comment

Working...
            X