Carb cleaner safe for use on 2008 T9.9 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb cleaner safe for use on 2008 T9.9 4 stroke

Is there a preferred carb cleaner for 9.9 4 strokes?
    Last edited by SouthernSailor; 02-02-2016, 08:34 PM.

Carb cleaner sprayed into the carb intakes will have no effect on plugged carb jets....You may try draining each carb float chamber with brass screw/drain provided at bottom/side of each carb. Your carbs may require removal, disassembly and cleaning to clean tiny jets and passages. Afterwards a very good idea to install a fuel/water separator to help catch water and debris to prevent future plugged jets.

Comment

there are ways to tee into the lines and check the pressure and vacuum of the pumps. also you can temporarily install a clear piece of tubing to look for air being sucked into the system.
      Might try pumping primer bulbs to see if that will keep them from stalling

And yes I have heard the carbs come with a coating inside, but have no idea what will take it off

Comment

I agree with Robert.

I had carburetor issues that required complete disassemble. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter I found myself in the same place despite the use of a 10 micron filter. I didn't appreciate the entire fuel system was fouled including the tank.

After a trusted mentor found ethanol in fuel labeled non-ethanol, he now keeps a kit handy

Ethanol is a solvent that dissolves rubber, plastic, etc. Because ethanol has an affinity to water, it can pull humidity from the air and separate from fuel. While materials are rated for 10% ethanol, if it separates, those materials are then subject to potentially pure ethanol. A trusted resource sung praises for a fuel line engineered for ethanol fuel and then two years later humbly posted pictures of the very same hose shedding its lining.

A complete cleaning for the three carburetors on our 90 TLR was a Saturday job and I suspect could be completed for both your 9.9's within the morning. Rodbolt often recommends only buying the needed parts over a kit and all are available here. I suggest going the distance and replacing everything upstream of the outboard.

I replaced all including the 27 gallon tank. Since only on rare occasions we burned more than 1/3, I went with a 12 gallon and separate 6 gallons "reserve". I also empty all fuel from the boat between trips. No fuel for me means no fuel to go bad.

This spring I'm once again tossing the fuel hose. I'd like to use steel braided racing hose used by the alcohol dragsters, but I haven't found the right fittings. Maybe someone here can provide guidance.

Comment

I would be interested in learning what type of hose can withstand ethanol in high concentration too.

Still wondering what cleaner to use though. I do NOT want to risk removing any protective coatings in the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernSailor View Post
            I would be interested in learning what type of hose can withstand ethanol in high concentration too.

Still wondering what cleaner to use though. I do NOT want to risk removing any protective coatings in the carbs.
            I believe any good carb cleaner will be fine, B-12, Walmart brand, etc....I've never heard any mention of coatings on inside outboard motor carbs.... In fact I've used Walmart spray carb cleaners on outboard carbs for years with no problems...Now my Mustang has a warning on the throttle body about "special coatings/no carb cleaners"....I use W-D40 to clean that once in a while....

Comment

I am fairly sure if the carbs did not have any coating inside then any time water sat in the bottom of bowls they would corrode badly.

I think I read once that the stuff you soak them in (Carb dip) can remove the coating, but cannot verify that.

Never read about the spray harming them, but I cannot verify that either.
              But most people use it a lot.
              I guess it depends on what you find in there that needs to come out

Comment

Brake cleaner is not as aggressive as carb cleaner and shouldn't hurt anything..

The main issue is to get all the jets out a visably check them. As noted above, the holes in some are very small and will clog up..

Un-less you SEE light thru ALL ORIFICES (horzontal holes too) it isn't clean..

When cleaning the jets only, off the carb, carb cleaner is fine...
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X