9.9hp 4-stroke not starting, bad/no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9hp 4-stroke not starting, bad/no spark

Hello everyone, first time posting here. I have a 2014 9.9 HP 4-stroke that is having starting issues, it's turning over but not firing. First I cleaned out the carb and switched out the spark plugs. Still same thing, so then we checked for spark. We would get at most one spark from each plug, we then went through and checked to make sure there were no loose connections, didn't find anything in the engine is very clean so I don't think it could be salt filled up anywhere. Not really sure what the next step is, has anyone experienced this issue and been able to resolve it?

testing the ignition system, procedures and specs should be in the service manual

Comment

Have you made any progress on this?

Comment

I found the service manual online and checked the ignition system, the only thing that was out of spec was the ignition coil. I purchased an OEM ignition coil and replaced it but I'm still having the same issue, the ohms on the primary of the ignition coil seem in spec however the secondary did not. it seems very rare for the ignition coils to go out so I'm not quite sure what to think of the brand new one being out of spec, but the fact that the primary is within spec makes me think that it's fine. Anyone have any input on this?

Based on what I've read it seems like it might be the CDI, so I plan to order a CDI Monday and hope that solves a problem.

Comment

did you take peak voltage reading to and out of the CDI?
          the CDI cannot do what is is suppose to if the inputs are bad.

did you make sure the kill switch was not grounding out the spark voltage?

Comment

I did not perform either of those tests, are they in the service manual as well? I don't remember seeing them. The controls on this outboard are remote, not sure if that makes a difference on the kill switch grounding. If this isn't something I can find in the service manual might you have a link or information that would help me?

Comment

Update: New CDI same issue....still just not firing?!?

Comment

Not sure this will help on your 4 stroke, but it will give some info on how those CDI systems work and testing

https://www.scribd.com/document/2941...DI-ELECTRONICS

Comment

Solved: well it turns out that while fishing (before replacing the ignition coil) the kill switch deal was pulled. Because I was alone I didn't get the chance to test for spark after switching out the ign. Coil, had a friend over to finally test. No spark, not the single spark like before, just zero spark. Then I realized there was no plug holding out the kill switch, worked that up and vroom one key turn and it was running. Previously it would take a few tries to get it going so it's definitely improved with the new ign. Coil. Goes to show, keep rechecking everything when troubleshooting.

Comment

I know a lot of people have run into this problem, but most found out it was the kill switch before buying a bunch of parts.
                    testing is a lot better than throwing parts at a problem.
                    get the proper tools and equipment
                    it can be a lot cheaper in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      I know a lot of people have run into this problem, but most found out it was the kill switch before buying a bunch of parts.
                      testing is a lot better than throwing parts at a problem.
                      get the proper tools and equipment
                      it can be a lot cheaper in the long run
                      Well the ignition coil was bad, if it was the kill switch in the beginning I don't think there would have been any spark. Plus the ohm readings were significantly out of spec. The CDI was likely unnecessarily replaced but fortunately it was only $60.

Comment

Originally posted by LuigiWhaler View Post

Well the ignition coil was bad, if it was the kill switch in the beginning I don't think there would have been any spark. Plus the ohm readings were significantly out of spec. The CDI was likely unnecessarily replaced but fortunately it was only $60.
                        the CDI for my C40 was $400
                        spark was good, but the timing was messed up.
                        new CDI fixed that

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

the CDI for my C40 was $400
                          spark was good, but the timing was messed up.
                          new CDI fixed that
                          Well I didn't get an OEM one, at least now I'll have the backup. Thank you for your input from the beginning!

Comment

Working...
                          X