2003 150 HPDI will not stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 150 HPDI will not stay running

I just rigged my boat with a pair of 150s and they ran great on muffs but the first time I put it in the water the port motor ran fine and the starboard would start and die. It will restart every time but die immediately or within 10 seconds. I searched a lot and most things point to fuel but I have tried swapping almost everything from the good motor to the bad with no luck. Both motors have share a fuel tank but have all new lines from the tank to the water separator on the engine.
    So far this is what I have tried...
    replaced both low pressure pumps with brand new because they leaked when i unbolted them and pumped the ball
    tried running from a can directly to the motor
    switched the water separator and filter, vst tank, medium to high pressure filter from good motor to bad
    Took cables off and cleaned them and even switched them to the other engines battery
    tried spare engine harness and key switch
    looked for broken or corroded wires but do not see any
    I have not tried replacing mystery filters yet, I have them ordered but not here yet

i am now thinking it is electrical however because I can unplug the tps sensor and the engine will run.. i tried switching the sensor and still nothing. Also the oil bars on the tach are not reading right and the left bar flashes and once in a while when trying to start the motor just clicks but will eventually kick over.

I have the yds and cable on order but again will not be here until late next week so do not have a read out yet..

Thanks for any insight anyone has.

Dustin

With ALL the electrical issues, I'd start by pulling/inspecting and cleaning ALL GROUNDS.

And just "looking" does not count. Pull the terminal, clean, etc..

Check to see if your indeed getting 12+ volts to the "engine side" of the battery cable too..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you for the response. I checked before and had 11.74 at the starter on both engines but they were both set to use both batteries and i think one is weaker so I isolated the engine with just the good battery but didn't check what the voltage was after since even the 11.74 was enough to keep the other engine running and also this problem one with the tps unhooked.
      I did clean the battery end terminal and cable end, checked the battery cable ground on the engine and still clean from when i installed it, took the cover off next to the fuse block and tool all wires off and cleaned them and even the grounds that have a silver tab connecting them pulled all of that off an cleaned them. Tonight I did notice a bunch of grounds going to a bolt on the top right of the motor and pulled that one as well. If you know where there are more I will check them. I will also try to look around more and then hopefully the manual will have the locations when that comes.

Comment

batteries should have at least 12.7 volts

Comment

I will check tomorrow what it is with just the good battery.

Comment

I checked and the battery was at 11.6 from repeated attempts to start so it is on the charge now. I was getting thr exact same reading at the battery, the starter post, and the red wire on thr starter relay.
            Since is runs without the tps could it still be fuel related or does it have to be electrical? Just want to make sure I chasing the right problem.
            also on the engine oil tank I unhook it and the alarm goes off and i had it unbolted and it was upside down and the gauge was ready 3 flashing bars in stead of just the first flashing bar. And the manual switch will kick the pump on and transfer fluid.

Comment

Looks like for the oil it is just s problem to the gauge. If I drain the oil tank on the engine and turn the key on it sounds the low oil alarm, flashes 3 bars and starts filling the tank. Once half full the alarm goes off and pump kicks off once fluid hits the top line.

Comment

Working...
              X