Yamaha outboard year ID info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha outboard year ID info

Recently picked up a 40hp 2 stroke yamaha outboard motor and need help in identifying the year.There is no sticker on the transom plate.I believe its late nineties or early 2000's.Its a 3 cylinder with no oil injection, it has elec.start and trim/tilt.How can I narrow down the year by observation to any changes in manufacturing?

Look on the block in the vicinity of the starter motor. Find the round decal that has numbers on it. What are those numbers.

Inspect the carburetors for any letters or numbers that might be cast into them. What are they?

Look at the data plate on the starter motor itself. What do you see?

Is your motor tiller steered or remotely con*****ed?

More than likely your motor is the equivalent of a Yam USA C40TLR(X) or a C40MLH(X).

Are you really concerned about manufacturing changes? If so, why? Seems that what you need it to identify the model for parts procurement purposes, but...

Comment

yamaha 90HP # of engine

Hello.
      I recently got a Arima with a Yamaha 90hp.Inshore,I belive the engine is around the same year as the boat 2000, howver when I looked for the serial or engine # for insurance I could not find it, reading through the posts i came accross the reference of a # near the starter, and I found one on a small round decal ( 494448 ), does this sound like a valid#?
      I do not know the model # of the engine, I need to find parts for the up/down relay, the relay is working erratically. and need to trouble shoot the cause.
      I'm trully impressed by the wealth of knoeledge of many of the members.
      I see that manny are not afraid of getting down to try things.
      One last question. will this engine be able to handle salt water?

Comment

A 90 Yamaha is a two stroke motor.

All Yams are rated for saltwater.

A two stroke 90 Yam would have a prefix of 6H1. The letter L is then used to denote a 20 inch mid-section length. Finally come the serial numbers, in your case 494448. So, the complete engine ID for your motor should be
        6H1 L 494448.

This serial number is a 1996 model year 90TLRU. There is probably not a dimes worth of difference between most 90 two stroke Yams. Most parts used on one 90 Yam will be the same parts used on any other 90 Yam.

Comment

Thank you so much,for the fast reply.
          I'm glad I found this site.
          I have one more question if I may, my outdrive sometimes does not go up/down. it just clicks, batt is @ optimum V. after some time it will be fine again. is this the relay with 4 cables that may be a thermal failure.
          is there a procedure to bypass the relay?
          Should I measure the V @ the post on the relay, I went through all of the connectors and all look fine.

Comment

First, let's get our terminology correct.

Inboard/outboards have an outdrive. An outboard motor such as yours does not. It is the entire motor that trims and/or tilts when the trim/tilt system is being used (assuming that it works).

You say that the battery has optimum voltage. But, does it maintain that voltage whenever the trim/tilt button is activated? If not, you have a battery problem. A battery has to be able to provide XYZ current while at the same time maintaining ABC voltage.

Now does the trim/tilt relay itself also have the same voltage at the relay while the relay switch is being pressed? It should. If not, you have a wiring problem. The relay assembly has to have XYZ current while at the same time maintaining ABC voltage.

Before you do anything, remove the battery cables and clean both ends. Reattach the battery cables bolts taking care not to over tighten them. If the battery cables go through a switch remove them there also and clean.

Remove any wires that attach to the trim/tilt relay itself and clean both ends. There should be a power feed wire and a ground wire. Then reattach.

Certainly you can bypass the relay. The relay has two large wires attached to it that go to the trim and tilt motor. A green wire and a blue wire. Unbolt those wires. Using battery jumper cables attach the positive battery cable to the blue wire and the negative battery jumper cable to the green wire. The motor should trim/tilt up. Reverse the battery jumper cables and the motor should trim down. This will confirm that the electric trim/tilt motor is functioning properly.

Re-install the two cables previously removed. Don't over tighten the bolts. Re-install the bolt covers.

Comment

Working...
            X