Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic seal under the new Engine oil lid fell into my engine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic seal under the new Engine oil lid fell into my engine!

Hi All,

I have a 2017 Yamaha F115XB outboard.

This is really embarrassing, as i completed my 100 service today and i was pouring my new oil into the engine through a clear funnel made from a 1L coke bottle, as i got to the end, i noticed/felt a lump or something go through the clear funnel into the engine. I am thinking that it might well have been the bit of plastic seal under the lid of the new oil container that might have dropped into the container when i opened it!!! I immediately stopped pouring but i am at a loss as to what to do to get it out. I obviously won't to start the engine but i also don't want to move the boat in case it moves further down the crankcase into the oil pan.

Now my two thoughts are to get a stethoscope camera and see it i can see it higher up in the case or pour more oil down and drain the new oil out and see if it comes out with the oil like it went in?

Thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated. Obviously if worse comes to worse i will need to take it to a mechanic and they have to pull the engine apart????

Stressing out,
    Simon

Posts of that as well as a flying bug going into the oil HAS been posted previously(your not alone) and the "fix"

Do NOT run the engine but you will need to remove the valve cover (where you would put oil into).

In both cases I re-call, the offender/part was right there and plucked out.. Trying to flush it out will only put it deeper in the engine-IE: DON'T

You should be able to find it fairly easily. Probably not with a scope but certainly can't hurt to peek...

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...er-crankcase-2

Capture.JPG
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks Scott! do you know how big a job it is to remove the valve cover, do i need to take the powerhead off the block to can it pretty much be done sitting in there?

I am just not sure what part of the oil container it was, either the bigger white bit of plastic under the lid or make a smaller bit of thinner clear plastic that is used to help take off the seal on the oil, it went through the funnel quickly and easily enough, so i hope it didn't flush down into the pan...

Comment

I never took the valve cover off a F115 but look at the link I posted, it shows everything attached to it.

You shouldn't have to remove the power-head. That cover has to come for occasional valve check/clearance adjustments..

I'd suspect no more than 1/2 hour with the proper tools and not loosing anything. Takes lots of pic's if in doubt...

Gravity would likely have set it right in the area below the filler (where-ever it's flat).

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X