'00 C50 trim/tilt bleed down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00 C50 trim/tilt bleed down

I have a 2000 Yamaha C50 with a trim/tilt issue. The motor tilts up and down fine, however when tilted up it slowly bleeds downward on its own. There are no external leaks at all. Is there an internal check valve or something I can replace?

Is this happening only when the motor is tilted up and not being used? Or, does this also happen while the motor is being used such that you have to trim it back up from time to time?

If it only happens when the motor is not being used then I would leave the unit alone and use the tilt lock device to keep the motor in the up position. Now if it happens while the motor is in use then you are going to want to find and fix the problem.

More than likely a check valve is not checking as it should or perhaps an internal seal is leaking. Finding the offending culprit can be a bitch. There is a whole lot going on inside of the particularly trim and tilt unit used on your model. While looking for and fixing one thing some other problems are apt to appear. That is why I would leave it alone if the problem occurs only while the motor is not being used.

Take a look at the internal workings of your unit. 2001 C50TLRZ Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSY Diagram and Parts

Your call.

Comment

also might check the manual release to make sure it is closed properly

Open it then reseat it, and cross your fingers

Comment

This is happening while in use and I'm constantly re-trimming the motor, every half a minute or so, to maintain my trim position. Not fixing this isn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          also might check the manual release to make sure it is closed properly

Open it then reseat it, and cross your fingers
          I'll try the manual valve reset and see... But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

Hopefully Rodbolt will give some of the different valves to look into if the manual one is not the problem

Could be one of the pressure relief check balls that open when you hit something to allow motor to come up, and I am sure there are other valves also.

How did this start?
            Anything happen to motor or something you did to it?
            Last edited by 99yam40; 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Hopefully Rodbolt will give some of the different valves to look into if the manual one is not the problem

Could be one of the pressure relief check balls that open when you hit something to allow motor to come up, and I am sure there are other valves also.

How did this start?
              Anything happen to motor or something you did to it?
              Nothing happened to the motor, no impacts or anything. I always use my engine support (transom saver) while trailering. Just this last open water season I noticed it happening.

Comment

my advice???
                take it to a dealership with a master tech.
                that is one of the most difficult units ever designed to play with.
                certain special tools are MANDATORY.
                simply cannot do the job without them.
                my guess is the trim ,tilt or memory orings are leaking.

Comment

If you have not noticed before, Yamaha does not recommend using that lock for trailing, it can bend things bouncing down the road when hitting things.
                  Only for servicing the motor to keep the motor from coming down on person while working under it

Comment

If you have not noticed before, Yamaha does not recommend using that lock for trailing, it can bend things bouncing down the road when hitting things.
                    Only for servicing the motor to keep the motor from coming down on person while working under it
                    I never use the tilt lock for trailering. I use a product called the Transom Saver that extends from lower unit to my trailer frame. I'm saying I support the weight of my motor while trailering so none of the motor weight is even on the trim and tilt while bouncing down the hi way...

Also thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Comment

Can you please post what the fix was once its resolved? Thank you!
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Stikman79 View Post
                        I never use the tilt lock for trailering. I use a product called the Transom Saver that extends from lower unit to my trailer frame. I'm saying I support the weight of my motor while trailering so none of the motor weight is even on the trim and tilt while bouncing down the hi way...

Also thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions!
                        Sorry, I miss read what you were doing

Comment

Working...
                        X