Engine Starting Issue - Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Starting Issue - Electrical

Trying to start the boat for the season but cant get the engine to crank. Here’s what going on:
    1). Initially had issues starting. Not even getting voltage when ignition on. Lights on analog gauges dim.
    2). Knowing that the battery was on its last legs I got a new battery.
    3). After installing, backlights on gauges were bright and I had voltage reading on the gauge.
    4). Went for a start, engine cranked but didn’t start(first start of the season). And that’s all I got. Gauges went out and no voltage reading. Repeated attempts did nothing.
    5). After troubleshooting looking at connection and checking voltage at some key spots, the voltage came back on the gauge (and backlights) and then immediately went out. Didn’t even get a chance to crank it.

Voltage check at the engine wiring harness at center console before the ignition switch reads 12.7VDC. So I’m getting voltage from the battery to the engine and then up to the console.

Theres a 4 plug harness(red, black, green, yellow) pigtail from the ignition key switch that I believe go to the gauges.

I need some help troubleshooting. I should be able to pick up some voltage on that 4 prong pigtail that go to the gauges. Which connections should I check.

I'm thinking it’s the switch itself.
    1) It was a blown fuse I wouldn’t have gotten it to light up the dash after the first failure(Not sure if there are self resetting circuits)
    2) The fact that the lights went out and voltage went away without going to the start position or engaging the starting the circuit would mean that any ground or issues with the starter or starting circuit is out of the problem.

I just replaced the wiring from the fuel sender. I had some work done on the gas tank hatch and before I close it up I wanted to replace the solid (non marine grade)wiring that previous owner installed.

Sorry for the long winded post but these electrical issues are never easy to diagnose without all the info.

having, then losing, then having again 'power' at the helm
    sounds like a bad electrical connection;
    affecting either the red power wire, or the black ground wire
    places to check -

both battery cable connections at the battery,
    and at the engine

separate the big black 10-pin connector at the front of the engine pan,
    examine those contacts

separate the multi-wire connector at the keyswitch,
    examine those contacts

Comment

Working...