F150 vaporlock Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 vaporlock Kit

Hey everyone I am new to the Yamaha family and this Forum. I just purchased a new to me boat that has a 05 f150 with 90 hours on it. The first time I took it out a couple of weeks ago it started running bad after about a mile, turned out being the injectors. So today we took it out ran about 15 min stopped for bait and it would not restart. After about 45min I was able to restart it and it ran great. I have been reading about this Vaporlock Kit but haven't found one anywhere. Does anyone have the part number or some other idea ?
    05 F150 TLRD
    06 23' UltaCat

------------------
    Last edited by boscoe99; 12-14-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

If the motor worked fine all these years, and now does not, I doubt that it is the lack of the vapor kit that is causing the problem.

The vapor kit, as a "kit" is no longer available from Yamaha. However, the parts that make up the kit are.

Several thousand dollars worth of piece parts. Then there is labour.

Comment

I have only own the boat for about a month so I do not know the history of the motor
        05 F150 TLRD
        06 23' UltaCat

Comment

testing things is what needs to happen, not guessing at what the problem is.
          Some things are easier to test than others

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            testing things is what needs to happen, not guessing at what the problem is.
            Some things are easier to test than others
            When I first purchased the boat and it stop running I went all thru the fuel system checking all the pressures and filter before having the injectors serviced so I know my basic fuel system is working as it should. I am going off ppl past experience with this type of problem, and it's always the 05 model in the pass that had this problem, but like I said before ANY other idea we be appreciated
            05 F150 TLRD
            06 23' UltaCat

Comment

my 07 F150 does not have the vapor kit and its never failed to start.
              google vapor lock.
              you will find your engine really cannot vapor lock.
              you CAN have fuel vapors enter the air box and create an over rich mix for starting.
              a simple test for that you ask?
              simply the next time it does it open the throttle a bit and retry.
              this will allow extra air>

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                my 07 F150 does not have the vapor kit and its never failed to start.
                google vapor lock.
                you will find your engine really cannot vapor lock.
                you CAN have fuel vapors enter the air box and create an over rich mix for starting.
                a simple test for that you ask?
                simply the next time it does it open the throttle a bit and retry.
                this will allow extra air>
                Yes I tryed this yesterday sitting on the bay, did not start. After we did get it started we drove around for about a hour with no problem got back to the dock turned it off and tryed restarting and it would not start, waited 30 min tryed starting and it started first try, going to drive it around today and see what happens, if it does not start I going to check fuel pressure at rail
                05 F150 TLRD
                06 23' UltaCat

Comment

Have you checked/tested for spark to all plugs when it will not start?

rail pressure should tell you if the pumps run are not starving for fuel.

Just because it had proper pressure before does not mean it has it now when it will not start.
                  As I said testing is the way to troubleshoot

Comment

I gather its cranking over(spinning), just NOT starting, correct?
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      I gather its cranking over(spinning), just NOT starting, correct?
                      Correct,,,,,, I took it out and ran it today and when I got back to the dock once more it would not restart. Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and I had good pressure. I forgot my spark tester, and before I found a old spark plug the thing started up, so next week end before I head to the bay house I'll have my ducks in a row.. Also thinking of picking up some new plugs
                      05 F150 TLRD
                      06 23' UltaCat

Comment

A neat tool, very efficent you may want to consider for checking spark, spark strength, etc. You can leave it hooked while the engine is running (or not);

99051130023 Echo PET-4000 Pulse Ignition Checker & KV Tester Oppama OEM New Tool

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

The VST is vented to the intake silencer. If the fuel is hotter than normal (problematic fuel cooler) or perhaps the relief valve in the vent line is stuck open, then perhaps excess fuel vapors are being dumped into the air intake system. Too much fuel vapors and the motor won't start because of an overly rich air/fuel mixture.

As soon as you stop the motor remove the cowling and then disconnect the vent hose at the air intake box. The fuel fumes will vent into open air. Then, after a period of time has gone by, say about 15 minutes, which is the period of time you stopped and the motor would not start, reattach the vent hose and see if the motor will start up quickly or not.

Do I need to say don't be smoking or having an open flame around the motor when the vent line is disconnected?

Comment

Just to add to Boscoes above post (which sounds very possible BTW).

In addition to the above, if the engine cowl doesn't normally get wet while underway, (calm waters, etc), try disconnecting that vent to the intake and simply run the engine with the cowl OFF.

It'll vent to the atmosphere safely (much less a fire issue) and you'll know immediatly when trying to re-start after running and getting the engine hot..
                            Scott

Comment

Geat info I will try this next weekend ( weather permitting ) lol
                              05 F150 TLRD
                              06 23' UltaCat

Comment

Working...
                              X