Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Trim/Tilt question

Hi all, new to the forum and boating.

I have a 1993 Yamaha Pro 50 w/power trim/tilt. The switch on the throttle works fine both up and down. The switch on the engine works going up but will not go down. No clicks or noise at all when the button is pressed.
    I tried to do some research and I keep reading about the possibility of a bad relay. Not sure if both the throttle and cowl switches run through the same relay, but if so, it works fine at the throttle so I wasn't sure if the relay could be ruled out? Bad switch on the cowl maybe?
    I didn't want to just start buying parts without having a decent idea of what the issue is.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Both switches control one relay. If the throttle switch works fine up and down it is not the relay.

I would suspect a failed engine switch. A simple continuity check across the switch in when it is pressed to the down position should confirm this.

If not the switch it could be, but not likely, a wiring issue. You can disconnect the connector to the engine switch and then jumper the engine harness connector. Red to sky blue should cause the motor to go up. Red to grass green should cause the motor to trim down.

Comment

To do a continuity check on the engine switch I suspect that you will need to disconnect it as well. You can damage your meter or electrical components or yourself even if you try and check this when live.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info Boscoe and Dubber.
        I was just going to ask if I should disconnect power, too.
        I'll check it out and see what I get.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X