Manual starter cord will not pull, F6ELH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual starter cord will not pull, F6ELH

I have a new 6 hp Yamaha that was dealer prepared, ran fine 3 times for a total of 2 hours. Trying to start it now and starter cord will not pull out. Engine has oil in crankcase. Is in neutral. I do not know what is really wrong but it acts like starter pawl return spring may be broken. I really need it to run tomorrow. Thank you for your suggestions.

Remove spark plug and try to pull....if not, then put a wrench on top flywheel nut to try and turn it...

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, I will try it this morning, zman

Comment

And turn it in the normal running direction..

Are there any "safety's" on the cover or ? that may be locking up the pull starter?

Your motor isn't listed in the US parts fisch, I suspect your outside the US.

Anyway, the closest engine starter assembly is;

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ER/parts.html#

Parts #20, a cable, appears to be a safety. You may try shifting back and forth should that cable not be adjusted (IF there is an adjustment) correctly.. The engine may think its in gear and NOT allow you to pull start it.
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Check the start in gear prevention, not sure how it works on that Engine but it's the cable that runs to the top of the recoil.
          usually you can lightly pull on the cable and it will disengage, this will tell you if it is wrongly adjusted.

Comment

has the engine been laid down between the last time it worked and now?

Comment

Working...
            X