Where is my WIF sensor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my WIF sensor ?

I recently boat a boat with a low hour dealer only serviced F150 TLR manu 10/09. I have a racor see thru bowl pre filter. The other day my buzzer alarm went off in neutral when I started the engine cold at the dock. After 3 tries it went away and off I went. I assumed the buzzer could only have been for wif which I didnt have. My engine is connected to my Sitex plotter. No notice appeared but water in fuel pop up window did come up on the screen at a later time when I started engine after doing some *****ing and the alarm went off again.
    There was no water at all in the racor bowl.
    When I got home I inspected/remopved the front engine mount separator/filter. However it does not have a sensor plugged into the bottom or a 2 wire sensor plug laying underneath, ( ie the filter housing had been changed). The filter also has a fixed black plastic insert that the little paper canister filter sits on. There is no floating red ring.
    I have gone thru all the variations of the 150TLR and found one that does not have the sensor plug in but I has a different canister filter. And I cannot find the location of the sensor on any of the schematics for that model.
    My ref plate shows TLR with 60PL as primary ID. S/N 1088***. But I cannot match this up to any 4 digit variation you have on your parts schematic choices. Help!

Originally posted by trescocos View Post
    I recently boat a boat with a low hour dealer only serviced F150 TLR manu 10/09. I have a racor see thru bowl pre filter. The other day my buzzer alarm went off in neutral when I started the engine cold at the dock. After 3 tries it went away and off I went. I assumed the buzzer could only have been for wif which I didnt have. My engine is connected to my Sitex plotter. No notice appeared but water in fuel pop up window did come up on the screen at a later time when I started engine after doing some *****ing and the alarm went off again.
    There was no water at all in the racor bowl.
    When I got home I inspected/remopved the front engine mount separator/filter. However it does not have a sensor plugged into the bottom or a 2 wire sensor plug laying underneath, ( ie the filter housing had been changed). The filter also has a fixed black plastic insert that the little paper canister filter sits on. There is no floating red ring.
    I have gone thru all the variations of the F150TLR and found one that does not have the sensor plug in but I has a different canister filter. And I cannot find the location of the sensor on any of the schematics for that model.
    My ref plate shows TLR with 60PL as primary ID. S/N 1088***. But I cannot match this up to any 4 digit variation you have on your parts schematic choices. Help!
    An F150TLR should have a 63PL prefix.

A 2009 production year F150TLR came with a fuel filter that has a sensor in the bottom of the cup. And a connector in the wire harness that connects to the fuel filter sensor.

Comment

Thx but I definitely dont have the bowl with sensor. Unless dealer swapped it out but then all they would have had to do was unplug sensor. There is only one unused plug fm harness below bowl n it had 4 wires and factory type rubber plug inserts in the female pin holes. I assume the wif only needs 2 wires. Sensor alarm going off today again while fishing when start the engine. I saw one variant of the f150 which has bowl like mine but I cant find a ref to sensor part no. It has to be somewhere on that model

Comment

How do you know what the alarm is indicating? Is it a steady tone or an intermittent tone?

Early F150's did not have a sensor in the fuel filter cup. Beginning in April of 2006 all F150's got the sensor cup and the wiring to interface with the sensor.

Comment

Well I cant remember what the tone was but it quit when in gear. But A window pops up on my plotter saying wif! So there is a sensor somewhere else just like in the 06+ schematic on this site that has the filter like mine. When I have time ill find it and post the number 0408 etc

Comment

My 06 F150 doesn't have the sensor(as noted above), (manufacture date late 2005).

The cup tends to expand (at the mounting flange) especially with Ethanol fuel (which I USED to use) and is a PIA to install fully.

I replaced my cup a couple of times, it was less than $15.. The cup with the sensor was well over $100.

I suspect someone had an issue with expansion / fit, went to the shop, saw the prices and went with the "old style"

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Well I cant remember what the tone was but it quit when in gear. But A window pops up on my plotter saying wif! So there is a sensor somewhere else just like in the 06+ schematic on this site that has the filter like mine. When I have time ill find it and post the number 0408 etc
              If the tone sounds when in neutral and goes away when in gear that is the water in fuel warning.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

If the tone sounds when in neutral and goes away when in gear that is the water in fuel warning.
                exactly..thats why I didnt pay attention to the typpe of tone and the warning came up on plotter anyhow...so the bug Q is where is that damm sensor!!

Comment

exactly..thats why I didnt pay attention to the typpe of tone and the warning came up on plotter anyhow...so the bug Q is where is that damm sensor!!
                  Should be on bottom of clear fuel bowl as seen in Scott’s picture above. If you find it somewhere else let us know.

Comment

I would be looking for the wiring that use to go to the cup.
                    probably just shorting out laying down in the pan somewhere

Comment

The damn sensor is with the cup. It is a part of the cup. If the cup with the sensor is gone then the sensor is gone.

Some early sensors were known to be problematic. It would be just like some fool who had a problematic sensor to replace the cup with the sensor with a cup without the sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        I would be looking for the wiring that use to go to the cup.
                        probably just shorting out laying down in the pan somewhere
                        Whoa. You are making way too much sense here.

Comment

Thinking about it some more, a fool that would replace the cup with the sensor with a cup that has no sensor would probably cut the sensor connector from the wiring harness.

Comment

Okay - a few things: first can anyone tell me if the sensor plug that would be laying on the pan bottom has 2 or 4 wires? should be 2? I have an unused plug there with black rubber plugs inserted into the female pin holes. The plug seems to be large for a sensor and no need for 4 wires.
                            Second the engine I got only had a few 100 hrs since new and only serviced at dealer with all receipts a no mention of any mods. Third my engine has this fuel filter setup to the T. ( from the 06 and later selection #0405 pic attached. ) So does this particular 06 and above engine not have a wif sensor?? am I making sense?
                            Attached Files

Comment

you know where Yamaha put the WIF sensor on a 09 and yours is not there.
                              what do you not understand?
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 07-28-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X