85 hp lower unit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 hp lower unit question

Hello all. Longtime lurker, first time poster. Thank you to everyone on here who answers questions. I have learned so much from reading these threads.
    I just replaced the impeller on my 1990 Yamaha 85 hp outboard. Project was fast and straightforward. No problems. When I reinstalled the lower unit the pee stream was nice and strong ( it was almost nothing before). Now the problem... The prop spins freely (with my hand) in neutral, in reverse there is the proper amount of resistance and the flywheel turns. In forward the prop spins almost freely with a loud clicking sound. The prop does spin when I put the boat in gear with the motor running, but I haven't tried it with any load on it (in the water). What did I do wrong? I feel like I just missed one step that is not letting the forward gear engage all the way.

You probably should drop the lower unit and moving the shifter shaft while turning the prop shaft, find neutral.....then put your control lever in neutral....then bolt it back together.

Comment

in fwd it will spin one direction with a clicking sound, the other direction it will lock.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the advice. Rodbolt you were exactly correct. Robert, I was going to follow your instructions if the there was a problem. Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
        X