40hp dead cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40hp dead cylinder?

I give up. At idle or mid throttle during a cylinder balance check #3 cylinder seems to be dead, #1 seems to be weak and #2 will kill the engine. #3 plug is always wet when removed. Swaped plugs, coils, no change. Compression test 95 on all cylinders. Remove carb disassemble and clean, check float adjustment etc., reassemble --same same. Disabled oil pump and mixed oil 50:1 in can --same same. The thing is it seems to idle some what smooth, no great clouds of smoke, and be somewhat responsive. Is this a normal thing on 3 cylinder engines?? Thanks for any input

95lbs compression is a little low but ok. Try running Combustion Chamber cleaner or Sea Foam through engine to clean carbon from rings and piston's.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Runaway,
      Don't give up yet - I know working on these outboards can be frustrating at times .
      What is the exact model for your Yamaha? I think there are three pulser coils for your motor.
      Sounds like you have a spark problem at low rpm, and I'm gonna guess maybe a faulty pulser coil or perhaps a bad CDI.
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The model is a 40shjd.

Comment

Runaway,
          "40shjd" - the d stands for year 2005, but I can't find your motor in the online catalog .
          Check the model again - and year. Look in the online catalog above.
          Ken K

Comment

can be the same as i had on my 30 hp-
            cylinder sleeve turned 90 degrees and blocking intake/exhaust port. Take out the plugs, turn the piston to its lowest point and use a piece of wire to probe if the ports are in the same position as in the other cylinders.
            If not, you can start looking for another engine..

Comment

Working...
            X