1999 yamaha 150 tilt and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 yamaha 150 tilt and trim

tilt and trim just stopped working I have taken unit off boat and took caps off fill all including where motor mounts with oil also. put back on put more oil in ran a clear tube up side of engine to get air out and let set all night with tube on. now motor works but piston do not move up or down can push by hand can anyone tell me what im doing wrong or had this problem myself?

Thanks

Hope your using ATF(Dextron II) or T&T fluid and NOT ENGINE OIL....

In either case, ALL the rams should be extended when filling with fluid. Its a self bleeding system so power the rams in and out and continue to top off with the rams extended.

You can power the electric motor directly off a 12 volt battery. Swap the lines (pos to neg) to reverse the direction.

Make sure the release valve (Larger flat head screw on the side) is tight. If slightly loose, it WILL bleed out and NOT hold pressure.

On a complete tear down, they like what ever you can fill while assembling, filled with fluid.

Please post your results...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-01-2014, 06:10 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

yes I use T&T oil pistons will not go up or down and when I use to take cap off reservoir it had pressure and oil went everywhere now take cap off no pressure at all ?

any help from all will be great

Thanks

Comment

Remove the cap only when all pistons are fully extended. Add fluid if needed. Replace the cap. Retract all pistons and then extend them fully again. Add fluid if needed. Repeat the process until the system has bled itself of any air. At some point with the pistons fully extended when the cap is removed it will not need any further fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Remove the cap only when all pistons are fully extended. Add fluid if needed. Replace the cap. Retract all pistons and then extend them fully again. Add fluid if needed. Repeat the process until the system has bled itself of any air. At some point with the pistons fully extended when the cap is removed it will not need any further fluid.
          Thought that's what I posted above. Maybe not clear enough for the Op..
          Scott

Comment

Yes I have tried that still does not work. I can let go of motor and it will drop no pressure at all trying to hold motor up. Does anyone think it may be a check valve/valves bypass valve /valves some where?

Thanks

Comment

Is the manual release screw, on the side of the unit nice and tight (clockwise)?
              Scott

Comment

yes it is triple checked it

Comment

anybody else have any ideas what be wrong ?

Comment

Perhaps Rodbolt will chime in. IDK....

Paging Mr Rodbolt!

@Rodbolt
                    Scott

Comment

When you installed the motor are you sure that you aligned the motor shaft with the gear pump connector. They have to line up.

Comment

not enough information.
                        its an electro/hydraulic device.
                        only info I got is it did not work one day.
                        dunno which part failed. electrical failure?
                        hydraulic failure?
                        but now I suspect a technician induced failure.
                        they are my favorite to trouble shoot.

yall wont belive how many self inflicted wounds I deal with weekly.

Comment

Motor works fine T&T was working just fine then one day tried to T&T in driveway then took cap off and oil went all over me lot of pressure build up
                          then took unit off check o rings on all three pistons looked good fill all 3 with T&T oil put back on boat put clear tube on fill with more oil to get air off pistons would not move motor works great had to move by hand let it sit all night with tube on hoping more air may come out. still not working
                          while I did have unit off I bought a new screen / filter 64E-43817-11-00

have read it may be a valve /valves which one or ones should I check first?
                          have been looking at Yamaha parts diagrams and parts list

Thanks

all suggestion's welcome

Comment

Is the "cap" you refer to, the filler cap?

Also, when you removed the cap (and got sprayed), was the engine tilted all the way up and physically sitting on the manual holder up top? (All the pistons should have been out)

So, long story short, please correct me if I'm wrong, T&T worked, it was partially up (held up by the hydralics), then you pulled the filler cap? Correct?
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-05-2014, 11:25 AM.
                            Scott

Comment

yes cap is the filler cap I just let motor down by hand main piston then down and then trim pistons came up tried to move motor by switch nothing happen then tried to lift motor by hand up but stop short on me so had to get screw driver and turn valve to get motor all the all up no pressure on fill cap

Comment

Working...
                              X