Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparing ethanol to non-ethanol fuel video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing ethanol to non-ethanol fuel video.

Kinda interesting fuel video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEf9Fdvx_Sc
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

I love it. Got to hand it to the guy. These tests can be a lot of work.

Now for some questions I will throw out:

1. Why did he do a compression test and not a leak down test? Rodnut? Where are you?

2. Why did the run with ethanol end sooner? Did the O2 sensor tell the ECU to open the injectors a bit longer to produce the same power?

3. What about motors that don't use an O2 sensor? Would the test run be the same amount of time given that the ECU is not being provided any feed back?

4. Why were the engine temperatures the same? Even though the octane grade was the same burn temperatures of ethanol are reported to be different than that for straight gasoline.

Comment

I would think he was just showing that he did not modify anything on the motor before each test, and compression test was easy to do and he had the test equipment.
      did you notice he was spinning motor with a drill or impact instead of someone pulling on the rope?

need more e fuel because it has less BTUs.
      It would be interesting running it on E85 to see how much that changed it.
      with just a carb and no modification( throttle/re-jeting) could the motor put out the same HP?

Would a inverter generator need to vary fuel input to run the same load?

10% e and needing to burn more to get the same power would not make a lot of difference in motor temp

I filled up my 2014 F 150 in Homa La. coming back to tx once and I must have got a load of non e fuel, because that was the 1st and last time I got over 24 MPG with that 5.0L V8. usually get 21 - 22MPG on just highway driving
      Last edited by 99yam40; 01-25-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Rodnut sez he can do a leak down test in less time. I would like to see him do that.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Rodnut sez he can do a leak down test in less time. I would like to see him do that.
          lots more steps IMO.need to see video of this..

Comment

I can tell you the one Echo CS 355 chain saw I had to remove the "crankshaft stuffers", I've NEVER seen a top end SO clean.

He uses non-ethanol fuel, Stihl oil in the Stihl engines and Echo oil in the Echo saws..

Whether it's the fuel or oil (or both), I'm switching to Echo oil and Non-ethanol fuel for all my small engines...

**When I had to tear down my own Poulan hand blower (low compression,70PSI, wouldn't start) ethanol fuel, the piston ring was carboned up BAD.
            I easily spent two hours, with a SS dental pick scraping out carbon from the piston till the piston ring moved easily in the grove. . Once done, I had 150 PSI and now runs like a top.

Boat always got non-ethanol with stabilizer.

Also, 99Yam, quote: "I filled up my 2014 F 150 in Homa La. coming back to tx once and I must have got a load of non e fuel, because that was the 1st and last time I got over 24 MPG with that 5.0L V8. usually get 21 - 22MPG on just highway driving"...

Was that trip "downhill" on the way home? I ask in that when we went to Tenn from Florida, we always got better mileage coming home. We attributed it to the elevation change.

Scott

Comment

Echo want's 89 octane used in ther 2 strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                Echo want's 89 octane used in ther 2 strokes.
                He uses what ever it calls for.

I currently use 87 as I'm just getting engines running from the dead, major breakdowns, etc.

I'm not running customers machines for hours on end...

He gets the Echo oil discounted and is picking me up a gallon next time he picks up oil for himself (reg commercial, tree trimmer customer)
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  Also, 99Yam, quote: "I filled up my 2014 F 150 in Homa La. coming back to tx once and I must have got a load of non e fuel, because that was the 1st and last time I got over 24 MPG with that 5.0L V8. usually get 21 - 22MPG on just highway driving"...

Was that trip "downhill" on the way home? I ask in that when we went to Tenn from Florida, we always got better mileage coming home. We attributed it to the elevation change.
                  not much if any elevation change from the La coast and Tx coast, and I have made other trips to see my son and his family over there without getting that kind of mileage there or back .

Do you not have any ring land cleaner tools to help clean pistons?
                  if not a old broken ring works well to clean the carbon out of the grooves once the rings are out of the way

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    not much if any elevation change from the La coast and Tx coast, and I have made other trips to see my son and his family over there without getting that kind of mileage there or back .

Do you not have any ring land cleaner tools to help clean pistons?
                    if not a old broken ring works well to clean the carbon out of the grooves once the rings are out of the way
                    Humm. just a thought about the elevation...

No, I don't have a ring land cleaner and I am familiar with using a broken / trimmed clean old ring to clean.

I didn't have a spare ring to use and frankly, it wouldn't have worked.

Took me an hour just to get the ring off it was stuck SO BAD to the piston (It did NOT expand ANYWHERE once out of the cylinder-it was that bad).

As noted, I used dental picks working one edge (small spot, 3/4-1") at a time. The carbon was the toughest I've ever encountered.

I got the machine used (trade in) and don't know the previous history but it was getting harder and harder to start till it wouldn't run at all.
                    I happened to have a similar machine (for some repair-forgot) and tested the compression. His was 150, mine was in the 70's.

I knew at that point the top end was coming off. Luckily nothing damaged, and after testing, compression was more than double..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-26-2019, 08:31 AM.
                    Scott

Comment

I ran into a carboned up ring also in a Polan pro leaf blower,
                      went down the road of cleaning carb, replacing the carb with a new one, He gave it to me after the carb cleaning and new carb and it still would not start.

checking compression. was 90 psi.
                      pulled apart and got the ring off without breaking it and cleaned all the carbon out of ring land , put it all back together.
                      That was years ago and it still runs great.

the guy that brought it to me said his son bought it and ran it less that one year before it would not start anymore.
                      I have no idea what oil they used or how much they put in that machine when running it to carbon up the rings like that
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 01-26-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        I ran into a carboned up ring also in a Polan pro leaf blower,
                        went down the road of cleaning carb, replacing the carb with a new one, and finally checking compression. was 90 psi.
                        pulled apart and got the ring off without breaking it and cleaned all the carbon out of ring land.
                        and put it all back together. the guy that brought it to me said his son bought it and ran it less that one year before it would not start anymore.

He gave it to me after the carb cleaning and new carb and it still would not start.
                        That was years ago and it still runs great.
                        I have no idea what oil they used or how much they put in that machine when running it to carbon up the rings like that
                        That's EXACTLY what I encountered, carb replacement too!

But yes, now running great, very powerful machine!!

***I see by your "join date", you just signed up this month!!!
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-26-2019, 08:58 AM.
                        Scott

Comment

I tried to get that straightened out but they never could for some reason.
                          every time I log in it shows I just joined that day

Comment

Working...
                          X