won't trim up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• won't trim up

I have a 2003 T8. The motor trims down but won't go up unless I push trim button on and off and it trims up an inch at a time when I push switch and let go. If I hold switch motor only runs and nothing happens. Any idea how to make repair ?

Is the motor itself going on and off? If so, sounds like the contacts in the switch are corroded up. Pull it apart and check/clean the contacts. Check battery connections too...

If the trim motor runs but won't go up, there should be a pressure release valve accessable thru the transom bracket. (should have a raised imprint on the casting wth an arrow). If that screw isn't tight,(clockwise), it'll NOT keep pressure and won't rise or hold the engine up (its not hldong hydralic pressure in the T&T assembly)..

Please post what you find..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Checked the switch contacts and they were clean. Pressure relief valve was tight .
      Trim motor runs in up and down mode but won't raise outboard. Removed fill plug and removed some fluid and added some new fluid and it started working intermintenly. Keft over night and tried in morning and back to same situation. If I click up switch on and off motor trims up an inch at a time.

Comment

Just for S&G's, un-plug the two wire trim motor plug from the main harness (near the top of the transom).

You can now bypass the rest of the system by simply jumping those two wires (from the trim motor) to a 12 volts battery direct. Swapping the leads will reverse the trim direction.

If it continues acting up, the issue in in the trim unit itself. If it works fine, the issue is elsewhere somewhere in the switches/harness...

Its sounding like it may be internally in the trim unit, doing the above procedure will confirm yea or nay..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-28-2014, 12:50 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X