Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT/T Acting/Sounding Screwy...Continuation Of Previous Thread

1998 S115TLRW

Starting a new thread regarding my PT/T. Previous thread with audio is here:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...ound-from-pt-t

I don't disregard the suggestion from others that this squeaky sound is somewhat normal. But I do know this sound is definitely not normal for this engine. That crunchy sound as the piston nears the top of tilt is concerning. Today I had the engine tilted full up. Then as I pushed switch down getting ready to go underway, the engine did not lower, the pistons did not move, yet the normal sound when engaging the PT/T motor was heard. The piston did not respond to the up or down switch. After about 30 seconds going back and forth of switch up/down, the piston responded and lowered the engine. No further issues from then on.

So this recent glitch combined with the crunchy sound I'm hearing....this is indicating something, which in mind means it's calling for attention. Below are 2 documents. The 1st is taken from my service manual. The 2nd taken from my owners manual. The PT/T content from either manual is limited at best. The owners manual is actually more detailed for testing proper function. Has anyone performed this test on their PT/T motor (owners manual)? I admit, I've never with mine.

I opened the PT/T reservoir cap a few weeks ago before posting the previous thread. The fluid level looked to be level with the reservoir opening, though this opening is very narrow. But let's just assume the appropriate level of fluid is in the reservoir. What else could this issue be...causing the crunching sound and like today, causing the piston to be briefly stuck "up". Something's going on here and I'm hoping to catch it before it gets worse.

Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

I think you have two options Jason.

Perhaps change the fluid out completely and keep using it until it fails, maybe it won't ...who knows.

Or start taking it apart and try to figure out what is going on with it. Or take it off and have it overhauled.

These decisions are always hard to make when something still works. I would rather stuff fail completely then you have no choice but to deal with it.

Sorry I couldn't help you any more then that.

Comment

Generally, this reads as a fluid level issue. Air in system because of??? Have you tried topping off the fluid? Just a starting point. My unit went wonky a few years back. Full up, would not lower periodically. O rings between pump and body had started to leak. Got much worse with time. Who knows???

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        I think you have two options Jason.

Perhaps change the fluid out completely and keep using it until it fails, maybe it won't ...who knows.

Or start taking it apart and try to figure out what is going on with it. Or take it off and have it overhauled.

These decisions are always hard to make when something still works. I would rather stuff fail completely then you have no choice but to deal with it.

Sorry I couldn't help you any more then that.
        I wouldn't mind completely draining the fluid. From what I've learned ATF doesn't go bad, so to speak. Be that as it may, I have no idea how old the fluid is. This would my first go at the PT/T. Looks pretty simple to remove reservoir according the parts blow out below...3 bolts (circled red #2). Looks like removing the 3 bolts allows the reservoir to pulled off PT/T unit, then dump out the fluid, refill, and reinstall. Sound right?

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Generally, this reads as a fluid level issue. Air in system because of??? Have you tried topping off the fluid? Just a starting point. My unit went wonky a few years back. Full up, would not lower periodically. O rings between pump and body had started to leak. Got much worse with time. Who knows???
          Like I previously mentioned, I checked the level a few weeks ago when I noticed the crunchy sound. Every time the PT/T reservoir cap is opened, is it necessary to bleed air from the unit?
          Jason

Comment

Jason, those 3 bolts are only for the reservoir mount. If you are talking about draining all of the fluid, you are going to have to remove the entire trim/tilt assy from the bracket. The reservoir only holds a small amount of fluid. Most of the fluid sits in the ram housing and valve body.
            Mine is a 1999, so i took the entire assy apart and replace all orings, seals and valves. Flushed with air then fresh fluid. Reassembled, topped off fluid and cycled several times.

Comment

Originally posted by iltfish1 View Post
              Jason, those 3 bolts are only for the reservoir mount. If you are talking about draining all of the fluid, you are going to have to remove the entire trim/tilt assy from the bracket. The reservoir only holds a small amount of fluid. Most of the fluid sits in the ram housing and valve body.
              Mine is a 1999, so i took the entire assy apart and replace all orings, seals and valves. Flushed with air then fresh fluid. Reassembled, topped off fluid and cycled several times.
              Thanks for the heads up!
              Jason

Comment

why did you start another thread on the same thing?

should have just kept going on that other one

and how are you bleeding air when you open the fill screw

maybe rodbiolt or someone else can say if this is a pressure to lower T&T unit

Have you opened the manual valve and raised and lowered the unit by hand?
                if so did you make any noise like the pins/swivel joints are binding up?
                Last edited by 99yam40; 06-10-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X