Johnson Forum Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Forum Advice

I have some questions about a Johnson 35hp my brother is working on. Anybody here partake in the boat.net Johnson forum? If not..maybe know who over there offers good advice?

Thanks

Panasonic

what year and is it a two cyl or three cyl??

Comment

There's a BUNCH of 30HP engines, model #?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...ard-by-hp/35hp

https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...p/j35ecig-1981
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-12-2018, 08:17 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

the 35 was made in a standard 2 stroke 2 cyl and is dirt common.
        they also made a few year models of the 35 that were 3 cyl and oil injected. the 3 cyl is almost impossible to get parts for.the 3 cyl was made in 25 and 35. I have worked on two in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          what year and is it a two cyl or three cyl??
          J35ECIG. 1981 Twin cyl

Lower unit stuck. Shift linkage disconnected, 4 bolts on sides of LU removed. Seems to be the stud on front of LU won't come down thru the hole in mid case. Appears to be an alignment bushing between the LU and mid case that the stud passes thru...according to parts manual.

Tried Wedges, heat and loosening oil..no go. I don't think it is the drive shaft stuck as I get a gap at the WP area with wedges.

Comment

I ran one for many years, but I dropped lower often enough that it came apart when needed.
            My brother had a 25 and he did not take apart very often, I tried to drop it and gave up.
            he ended up selling the boat and motor before the water pump went out. handing off his problem to someone else.

I think Rodbolt mentioned using a mix of Clorox to eat the aluminum oxide , not the normal penetrating oils.
            not sure if he ever said what ratio tho

I am thinking putting the nut back on the stud not all of the way tight leaving it a little distance between the housing and nut, and then using a BFH to hit it with might help.
            if it comes apart you can replace the stud(maybe) if damaged.

maybe using a brass punch will help not destroying the nut and stud
            Last edited by 99yam40; 05-12-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I will get it apart one way or another. Was hoping one of you would have been through this before...as rodnut said there is a million of them around.

Can't get a smack at it as it right under the bottom saddle bracket....just enough room to get a wrench in really.

Going to try some straight aluminum prep (phosphoric acid) and let it run down the stud and hopefully eat away the corrosion enough to break it free.

Hopefully Rodnut will report with his Clorox recipe.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen

Comment

straight chlorox.
                you can also try getting a steel or AL block run the nut down the stud.
                fit said block between the casing and the top of the stud. use the nut as a jacking screw.
                oxy/acetylene works well too.
                DO OT hit the stud.
                all you will do is damage the threads and sometime that stud wont come out.
                at least in one piece.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  straight chlorox.
                  you can also try getting a steel or AL block run the nut down the stud.
                  fit said block between the casing and the top of the stud. use the nut as a jacking screw.
                  oxy/acetylene works well too.
                  DO OT hit the stud.
                  all you will do is damage the threads and sometime that stud wont come out.
                  at least in one piece.
                  Thanks Rod I will try your suggestions before I get brutal with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X