Battery thieves cut ignition cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery thieves cut ignition cables

So battery thieves cut the ignition cables on our twin F150s. They also cut the fuel line on one motor and the steering cables in the process. Trying to repair the damage but can't get the motors to trim down or actually do anything at this point. We're sure something is shorted but not sure exactly what . Any help or advice is greatly appreciated Thanks guys

for starters, use the manual release screw on the side of the bracket to let down the engine,
    so you can get the cowling off

Comment

Yes! Just barely! Thank you for the reply kind sir! Appreciate you

Comment

I'm sure the starter relay is probably smoked but not sure what else it shorted.

Comment

I wouldn't expect relays to particularly sensitive -
          my imagination would run to solid state devices like the ECU and regulator/rectifier-

but perhaps there's no damage except a blown fuse or three.

Unable to understand wtf anyone would cut control cables (no easy task!) or a fuel line to steal a battery...
          actually puzzled that anyone would bother to steal a battery...

Comment

Agreed! They actually snatched both props too! Too lazy to take the terminal nuts loose up in the battery compartment so they decided to knaw thru the wires with some kind of cutters. Scumbags! The fuel line and steering cables were just collateral damage.

Comment

I am still trying to figure out what ignition cables you are speaking about

Comment

I think we need the serial numbers in order to look up the proper diagrams.

Comment

Whoever did that should have their wing nuts removed with bolt cutters!....

Comment

Sounds to me like someone was in the process of stealing the motors. They generally use bolt cutters to sever everything that connects between the boat and the motor to make it easier. Then it is just a matter of unbolting and removing the motors. 15 seconds or so to cut all of the lines and then less than a minute to remove the nuts from the bolts using an impact gun.

In snipping the ten pin harness it is possible that the fuse on the motor was blown. Just a matter of replacing same.

Replace the main ten pin harness, replace the hydraulic lines, replace the control cables and replace/splice the fuel line and battery cables and the motor will more than likely fire back up.

Now some folks have been known to use special bolts to mount the motor to the transom. Theft resistant bolts they are. Thieves are then known to take a chain saw or sawzall and cut a section out of the transom so the motor can be hauled away. The motor are gone and the boat is severely damaged.

Comment

I guess the motor leads might be a better term. It would be both positive and negative leads from both motors going into the battery compartment. Thank God we didn't have to deal with replacing motors!!!

Comment

Totally agree with boscoe. Was going to post just that, well the first sentence anyway.

A group came through my town last year and made off with several brand new big displacement Yams on a single night. Rumor has it, the engines were bound for Somalia of all places. I would have thought the cocaine trade. When you think about it, if you're after the engines and don't care about simply hacking all the connections you could get an OB off a transom in no time. Probably takes them longer to set up and take down the rig for the chain fall.

I've had a ton of stuff stolen over the years. Thieves suck.
                        Last edited by oldmako69; 04-21-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I have had enough stuff stolen to believe they do not do enough to deter them from stealing after they let the out when they catch them.

I hate thieves also

Comment

Bit strange to do that to get the batteries. Sounds like amateurs or organised crime using these amateurs. We've seen a change here how some crimes are carried out. Somalia sounds like a use for their speedboats that hijack large ships. Crime like the internet is world wide and is also condemned here, but our penalties aren't deterrents. Someone suggest bolt cutters, l'll vote for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi1720 View Post
                              I guess the motor leads might be a better term. It would be both positive and negative leads from both motors going into the battery compartment. Thank God we didn't have to deal with replacing motors!!!
                              Depending on how long your BATTERY cables are, you may be able to attach new ends to them. If not, new cables sound like the way to go.

If it was just your battery cables cut, (not the main harness), replacement of the cables should be all you need to get the electric's back up and working.

Sucks, glad you still have your engine though....
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-22-2018, 08:13 AM.
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X