05 F250 Trim Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 F250 Trim Motor

My trim motor is dead. Looks like 8 bolts and the pin in the top ram and the unit will come off to replace the motor. Could someone with basic mechanical skills do this job? Are special tools needed? Shop wants 500 labor fee. Low on cash

It is an easy removal and replacement job to get the assembly out.

Position the motor in the full up position. Swing down the locking device.

Remove all of the lower attach bolts. Remove the bonding wire from the anode. Remove the power harness from the trim and tilt relay and pull it out of the lower cowling. Several tie straps will have to be removed. Remove the upper attach pin circlip. Have someone lift up on the assembly as the upper attach pin is pressed out. Slide the assembly out from between the clamp brackets.

Reverse the process to install it.

Comment

CapSolo

I hook 12v to the blue & green nothing happens. Motor will run if you tap it with a hammer some of the time. Been getting slow to trim. I'm thinking the brushes in the motor may be bad.

Comment

Boscoe

Thank you for the info. Its on my bench now. How simple that was. Shop wanted 685.00 for the motor and 500.00 labor plus tax. Thats crazy! Has anyone ever used a 150.00 after market motor? I can buy 4 of them for the price of the yamaha motor. Think I should try one?

Comment

Depending upon the reason for the failure, the motor can possibly be rebuilt. Check with an auto electric shop near you. Might just need new brushes. I had one rebuilt for my Mercury for just sixty bucks but that was some years ago.

I would not hesitate to install an aftermarket motor. After all, Yamaha did not make that motor. They did not make the entire assembly either. It is a part that is purchased by Yamaha.

For the price of the motor, or the brushes, from Yamaha, you can buy several of the aftermarket motors.

Comment

boscoe99

I'm going to try one. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X