problem with 703 remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with 703 remote

Hi - new to this - I have a 703 remote that works fine except when initially putting into the forward position. once I start the motor and try to put it into gear the motor stalls - this will occur several times and I often have to put back to neutral and then into forward very rapidly - it may take up to half a dozen times before it gets going ( I always warm the motor up as well) - any suggestions

May not be the control,, what model engine are we working with.. could be the shift cut out switch,,

Comment

I doubt its the remote controls.\
      post an engine model number.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for that - unfortunately I am unable to read model / serial number as it has corroded / worn off It is a CV40 and I am guessing that it would be around mid to late 90s era - it is immaculate under the cowling and from what I can gather has done minimal hours - I bought it only a couple of months ago - is there anywhere else that I may be able to find the numbers?

Comment

fix your fuel system.
          a CV40 has no shift switch.

Comment

It's a pretty good bet that your carbs need to be removed, disassembled and cleaned...one or more of the jets may be plugged....after you get it running right consider installing a fuel/water separator type filter on your transom...Walmart sells an Atwood unit for about $28 and it works very well to help keep water and debris out of your carbs. Also a good idea to learn to drain each carb float bowl/chamber a couple of times a year and especially for lay ups of several weeks or months....Regarding fuel-related issues, prevention is much better and cheaper than repairs....good luck!

Comment

Thanks for that - I will get the carby looked at - just one more question - it says to run a 100:1 mix but I have been told that a 50:1 mix is better as it keeps the oil up to it a bit more - is this correct?

Comment

50:1 is the recommended mix....Yamaha tried 100:1 for a while in some motors and it did provide somewhat adequate lubrication but was deficient for oil film corrosion protection in the shiny parts crank/bearings area....I've heard of folks who do lots of *****ing/low speed operation using 75:1 in an attempt to reduce carbon/plug fouling....but I can say from experience at 50:1 in my 90C and lots of slow speed operation, I've never carbon fouled a plug...but I do use Ringfree and 100% Synthetic Oil....good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X