OX66 Overhaul Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX66 Overhaul Questions

I have a couple of questions about a pair of 2000 250HP OX66 engines I have. They were underwater and not treated correctly when retrieved and I am wondering if they are worth saving.

First. Are the cylinders sleeved and if so can they be replaced? The cylinders are rusted enough that they would need to be bored for oversized pistons at the very least. I was hoping that new sleeves could be installed.

Second. Does anyone sell overhaul kits or do I just have to make up a list of all the parts (pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings, etc) that I need and price them individually?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Greg

first thing.
    tear it down for inspection.
    if ANY signs of pitting or etching on the crankshaft or connecting rod or wristpin surfaces it means that part is junk.
    usually water damage is bad.
    the cylinders are the least of your worries.
    in your case there will be no kits.
    but first a teardown is in order.

Comment

I'm just curious, was it saltwater or freshwater and how long we're they submerged?.....

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        first thing.
        tear it down for inspection.
        if ANY signs of pitting or etching on the crankshaft or connecting rod or wristpin surfaces it means that part is junk.
        usually water damage is bad.
        the cylinders are the least of your worries.
        in your case there will be no kits.
        but first a teardown is in order.
        Thank you, that was my next step. Need to make time to get them off the boat and into the shop.

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        I'm just curious, was it saltwater or freshwater and how long we're they submerged?.....
        I was told freshwater but have no idea on the time submerged. The boat was damaged in Katrina but was supposed to be in a freshwater channel when it was damaged. I bought the boat from a dealer and have been unsuccessful in location the original owner.

GP

Comment

i wouldn't be wasting my time and money on this motors ,its not only the motors that have been submerged its the wiring too and if by chance you would have connected the battery and tried starting it you would have ruined the wiring too ,so get a pair of new motors installed ,and have trouble free trips
          getting rebuild will be very expensive starts from 4800USD per each motor plus labor ,its not worth it

Comment

Originally posted by madharchod View Post
            i wouldn't be wasting my time and money on this motors ,its not only the motors that have been submerged its the wiring too and if by chance you would have connected the battery and tried starting it you would have ruined the wiring too ,so get a pair of new motors installed ,and have trouble free trips
            getting rebuild will be very expensive starts from 4800USD per each motor plus labor ,its not worth it
            Will look into the wiring, thanks for the heads up. I have rebuilt several auto and motorcycle engines and would do these myself so labor is not an issue. I will tear them down and have a look. No way I can afford $30k for a pair of engines and all the rigging

GP

Comment

Originally posted by GregPappy View Post
              Will look into the wiring, thanks for the heads up. I have rebuilt several auto and motorcycle engines and would do these myself so labor is not an issue. I will tear them down and have a look. No way I can afford $30k for a pair of engines and all the rigging

GP
              How many motors have you redone that were under water?
              Not the same as just overhauling a motor.

My guess would be crank and all bearings along with block and all sensors and wiring got messed up .
              Especially if there was salt water involved and things are rusted already

Comment

None. But on the other hand, everyone that does there first one had never done one before. The only way to know for sure what is bad is to tear it apart and if it is not rebuildable the parts that still may be good will already be off to part it out. If nothing is good it will be easier to scrap in parts.

You may very well be right but it doesn't cost me anything but a few enjoyable hours in the shop to find out. I rebuilt my first 2 stroke bike engine 38 years ago and my first car engine 2 years later. Been doing it every since. Never had one under water but willing to learn.

Again, thank you for your input on what to look for.

GP

Comment

Working...
                X