95 yamaha 70 hp 2 stroke not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 yamaha 70 hp 2 stroke not running right

Motor ran fine last year. Below was what I done to it before I winterized it.

All OEM parts
    new plugs
    fuel pump
    Rebuilt carbs with kits. adjust floats to 14mm
    Installed new racor water separator filter.
    New fuel fittings and primer bulb and hose.
    Compression is 115, 115, 105
    Motor starts and idles fine however it does not go past 3200 RPM at WOT

Could the issue be CDI box or electrical?

Check spark and timing at problem RPM if that all is good then you still have a fuel problem

Comment

I happen to pull the plugs and notice that the center spark plug is a bit blacker that the top and bottom ones

Comment

I suggest checking all linkages again. Maybe one didn't get hooked up.

Do you have the original wires? I remember replacing plugs on my van just before a trip and found it running a few cylinders shy. Thinking I broke a plug I struggled until the evening when I saw a lightning storm all over the engine. The wires were on their last leg and the flexing from changing plugs resulted in carbon tracks through the insulation.
        Last edited by throrope; 09-06-2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Linkages are good. I put new plugs in it. However I notice a slight hesitation when giving it throttle to 3000 rpm. Also I notice a misfire maybe engine shaking when I put it in gear. It runs at at 5-600 rpm maybe. It was just above the first mark on the std Yamaha analog gauge. When idling it in neutral it's at 800-900 rpm but when I bump it into gear is when it's at about 500-600 rpm.

One thing I notice is that when running the boat at 3000rpm at I pull one plug wire at a time the engine runs/ sounds faster, then when plug it in it slows back down.

Comment

Working...
          X