Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

140CETO - no power. Grey wire disconnected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140CETO - no power. Grey wire disconnected?

Hi all,

Down here in good ol' New Zealand I've got a 1995 (I think) Yamaha 140hp V4 2-stroke engine, purchased second-hand, and I've got a couple of issues I'm trying to sort out. I'm hoping someone here could help me or point me in the right direction.

First, the problems -

1. It starts and idles beautifully, but under load goes no higher than ~2800RPM. The motor turns easily, has good compression, seems to have good spark, gearbox was recently serviced. I would've thought it could hit 5-6000rpm?

2. When it's warmed up, it produces what looks like steam from the exhaust ports. I don't see any blue smoke, but I suspect it's just running well - when started from cold it blows a bit.

3. Every now and then, and for apparently no reason, the warning buzzer will come on and stay on for a while. I'll stop the engine and start it up again a minute or two later, and the buzzer will stop. This happens at high revs or low revs; both oil tanks are full, and the engine isn't very hot.

4. Analog trim gauge doesn't seem to work

Now, the observations. The motor was bought from a second-hand dealer, and he gave me a box with gauges and soforth - the gauges though looked like they were from an older model Yamaha. The analog tach has four wires that look like they're meant to power the oil and temp warning lights, and they terminate in bullet connectors, but my engine harness has a connector with some (but not all) of the matching wires for the warning lights but with an extra grey wire that doesn't seem to go in anywhere. According to an online article this grey wire is the "warning circuit lead; engine over-rev control" wire.

So, the questions -

1. This grey wire, what exactly does it do, and could me having the wrong tach possibly mean that it isn't letting the engine rev up? Could this have something to do with the warning buzzer sounding but everything still appearing fine?

2. Is the emission of what looks like steam something to worry about? It's not a lot, possibly just about like a boiling pot on the stove when it's idling. I don't see much blue smoke once it's warmed up. No strange noises, seems to run fine apart from not wanting to produce power.

Cheers!
    Last edited by fritz.hus; 09-01-2013, 10:48 PM.
Working...
X