Engine Control Unit and casting number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Control Unit and casting number

My boat has been laid up for a few weeks and after trouble shooting a few other problems, the engine control unit on my starboard engine was found to be shot (wiring harness was chaffed and shorting - this may have damage the ECU?).

I am running twin 2001 200 HP HPDIs Z200TXRZ engines. The ECU is backordered from Yamaha until mid-August. I found a used ECU that matched the part number exactly 68F-8591A-20-00 and am having it next day shipped to the shop.

Prior to locating the used ECU, in speaking with another supplier he wanted the engine casting number before looking for a used unit. Since I am out of town and did not have it I continued looking for a used ECU that matched the part number.

Why would I need the casting number if I matched the part number exactly?

You wouldnt,, if the part number matches you will be ok..

Comment

Unit seems to be working fine. I am back in the water. Now the weather is blown out for the weekend.

Comment

Poppet valve cover blew apart

The poppet valve cover blew apart, shorting the wiring harness and frying the engine control unit.

I am surprised at how bad the valve cover was and wonder what other corrosion is happening on the engine.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ive seen that several times.. wouldnt hurt to spray the engine with some fluid film...

Comment

Working...
          X