Prop shaft seal replacement on a 2003 F50tlrb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop shaft seal replacement on a 2003 F50tlrb

A friend has a 2003 F50tlrb 4 stroke and says that it's leaking milky colored fluid from the motor... I haven't seen it yet, but assume the gearcase seals have leaked. I have no experience with Yamaha's nor do I have a manual... the parts breakdown I saw online sort of helped, but I was wondering if there are any special tools or procedures to pull and replace the seals. Boat has never been in salt water so hopefully corrosion will not be a huge issue.
    Thanks

The lower unit can leak from drive shaft seal,shifter shaft seal,prop shaft seals or drain and vent screw plugs seals/gaskets....best to determine the bad seal before starting to replace them. I'd pull prop off and inspect for fishing line wrapped around and under prop shaft seal causing leak and/or seal damage. With any luck you may just need drain/vent screw seals/gaskets. A pressure test can be run on your lower unit to determine the bad seal if visual inspection doesn't make it obvious. With the salt water It would be good to flush lower unit a couple of time with fresh oil and hope the corrosion hasn't already damaged those bearings....it would depend on how long the salt water was in there. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Comment

only tools required are a big screwdriver and a 4 pound maul.
      no training nor manuals required.

man I have wasted 30 years of training.

Comment

A service manual for that motor will tell the steps and the tools needed.
        After reading it you can decide if you would rather take it to someone with proper experience/training.

Like Robert said it is best to pressure/vacuum test to find out what the problem is 1st.

Rodbolt17 seems to need more coffee this morning

Comment

more coffee or beer, depends.

however the point I am trying to make is there is no set standard as to how to disassemble every case.

you wont belive the tools I have that don't show up on the Yamaha tool list.

Comment

Working...
          X