2003 HPDI Missfire on #2 and #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 HPDI Missfire on #2 and #3

Nice forum! I have a problem that I'm hoping to get some advice on. I have a 2003 250 HPDI. The engine missed bad on #2 and #3 cylinders, ran lean on both of these cylinders and melted the pistons. I replaced with a rebuilt powerhead. After installation of the new powerhead, I still have a misfire on both of these cylinders. When I first turn the key on to start the engine, both cylinders fire according to my scan tool (Sierra STATS). Within 2 seconds, both cylinders show misfires again. I have replaced the trigger coil, no change. I suspect the injector control modules. The only other problem I've noticed is that when I first turn the key on, the fuel pump does not engage. As I understand, I should get a 2-4 second prime. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

HPDI only runs on 4 cylinders at idle in neutral, cylinders 2 and 3 do not fire, when you put it in gear then they fire, check your shift switch, if they are not firing in gear thats where i would go first.

Comment

Thanks I'll check that out. I had no idea they dropped 2 cylinders at idle. I'll send a case of beer your way if it does the trick.

Comment

make it budwesier,,,

Comment

a quick test of the shift position switch?
          start the engine, reach down and manually trigger the switch, you will hear when the other 2 cylinders come and go.

Comment

Working...
          X