Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 HPDI Fuel filters - Yr 2001

Having a power problem at high RPM.
    New water seperator filter, plugs and did all the winter things correctly. No evidance of water in fuel in the filters
    Couple of questions about this motor:
    How many other fuel filters should I change ? apart from the canister one - I dont know about the history of changing them
    Could this be a fuel pump issue ? where is that located and is it an easy change ?
    thanks for the help

I have 200 hpdi's so what kind of rpm problems are you having? Yo have the filter in the vst tank, and the canister filter above the tank.

Comment

power issues. It idles perfectly well, then when I take it up to 30 mph it runs ok for 4 or 5 minutes then it loses power. It really feels like a fuel starvation issue. I've drained the VST and the water seperator filter. I am going to change the filter in the clear canister (sorry, not sure what its called) but I was wondering if there are other filters to change.
      When I drained all the above I didnt see evidance of water in the fuel.

Comment

There is a filter just above the VST in line with the pressure fuel line going to the high pressure pump that needs to be changed as well, this is missed lots of times due to the cost of the filter, it has a quick connect on one end, do not damage it. there are some filters inside the high pressure pump that the layman cannot get to and there is a filter on the inlet end of each injector.

Comment

Can you help get this engine started

2005 four stroke yamaha fuel injection: I have clean fuel, cleaned out the fuel filter in the front of the engine, Chg the filter leading to the high pressure pump, took off the vst and chg the filter in it, replaced the gasket on the vst, as key is cranking engine i can see the fuel coming out of the hose just before the fuel tube of the injectors and had the four injectors cleaned but the engine still will not turn over. Is there anything I missed. Please send an answer back to my email @ Streamln1@aol.com. Thks Capt. Jon

Comment

Following up on the original post.
            Was advised by yamaha guy to change the following filters, canister, the one one the top of the VST tank and the one in the bottom of the vst tank, $150 for all the parts but worth it for comfort level.
            Took it out for a spin sunday night, all appeared ok, took it out tonight for a longer try, heres the strange thing.
            Cruised well at 44 rpm and below, cruised well at 48 rpm, 45/46 rpm is when I was losing the power again. This one has me beat ! Any ideas ? Admittedly I need to spend more time diagnosing it as it was dropping dark but thats my initial tests.
            Could I be over pushing it ?
            Could I just not have given it a long enough run with new filters ?
            Any ideas are appreciated.

Comment

check the primer ball when you are running

Comment

Britfish,

Are you getting any alarms like overheat or low oil tank. There is an automatic reduction in speed, limiting RPM's when it gets a fault alarm.

My digital gauges are real hard to read due to sun damage and age. Turns out I would overheat and the engine would loose power. I hardly noticed the audible alarm because I'm half deaf. I noticed the temp symbol flashing in the tach, and then I knew.
                Last edited by FabricGATOR; 05-07-2013, 12:37 PM. Reason: edit phrasing, comma
                If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Thanks for the responses - did more testing this morning on the water.
                  The ball is OK, no issues there.
                  I am not getting any alarms and my gauges seem OK.
                  It was running OK at speed this morning but the problem came back when I tried to tilt up on the motor - immediatly slowed/stalling then back into action.
                  My Yamaha guy says batteries - twin batteries changed in June 2010, doesnt seem a very long life span - thoughts ?
                  I may borrow a battery and try that out to see if thats my issue

Comment

Does the stalling / power loss directly coincide with the electrical draw of the trim pump being operated?

How does the engine crank, does it seem like a weak battery?

Have you pulled the batteries recently, serviced the water to just over the plates, charged them out of the vehicle, and then topped up the water to the fill line recently? [water only, preferred distilled or clean rain water]

Whats your charging voltage at say cruise, 3100 rpm (or your sweet spot)(mine's 31)

I'd check that stuff before I threw a new set of batteries at her.

Depending on your situation, you could exhaust a set of batteries that quick.

Unregulated charging,) lack of maintenance,) heat,) brand/quality of the battery,) state of charge during times of inactivity.) All contribute to the prosperity of a battery manufacturer.

Diehard and their 5 year battery.... they're just tricking you into buying a percentage of your next battery up front. It keeps you coming back for more.
                    Last edited by FabricGATOR; 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM. Reason: I'm a fancy lad
                    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

yes, exactly, when the trim is raised the power struggles
                      its not a battery, I pulled them this afternoon and tested them, 782 CCA and 765 CCA
                      I think its an electrical problem on the trim - not looking forward to diagnosing that !!!
                      Preciate your comments
                      thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X