Starting issues: 2005 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting issues: 2005 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke

As this is not officially my boat, I'm looking for the quickest reasonably priced fix.

The problem that I'm having is getting the boat to start SOMETIMES. I'm puzzled - the boat starts at times quite easily, but other times (like yesterday) it just will not start.

I went fishing in the morning. The boat started fine; made it all the way to the last fishing hole and finished my limit to find that the boat would not start, again (not my first time, but definitely the longest time that I couldn't get it to start). Luckily, my dad came to the rescue to tow me in as it is Mardi Gras season here and no one else was on the water.

The problem: When I turn the key it almost seems as though the boat would still be in gear and therefore does absolutely nothing (the gauges on the dash move when the key turns to on). I move the throttle up and down to find the neutral setting with no avail. Got towed in only to try it at the boat launch and the SOB cranked right up. My dad seems to think it could be the ignition switch, but as I mentioned it worked fine at the launch and I have tried several times since I'm home and it cranks right over. Could there be a sensor in the motor that could cause these problems?

I don't want to take the boat in to the shop with it cranking because with my luck, they wouldn't find anything wrong with it (I mean, it's working now - can't fix something that isn't broken). As I have said, it has happened before, but after turning the key several times, it would finally make contact (or something) and crank up.

Anybody ever run across this problem? Please help

could be the cable connections,loose wirieing,failing N start interrupt switch in the control box a bad starter relay or relay ground.
    only way to find it is testing relay voltage when its failed.

and your right,sometimes if it aint broke I cant fix it.

Comment

To begin with;

a ) Clean both battery connections and make sure the battery terminals are not loose or corroded on the battery wires.

b ) Clean negative battery ground on block. Clean positive battery connection on starter.

Comment

Working...
      X