Oil pump won't stop pumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump won't stop pumping

Please help I have a 115 AETO 1987 2 stroke outboard and the oil pump won't stop pumping oil to main tank even after it is full and this is causing oil to leak out of the top. Any ideas what the problem could be ?
    Last edited by gobbledok; 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM.

either the blue wire is shorted to ground,the module is bad, the module has low voltage or the engine tank switch is bad.

Comment

hi thanks do you know of any service manual or guide I can look at online for more information on how this oil system works? thanks

Comment

google rodbolt17 or rodbolt and precision blend.
        its a very simple system.
        has 5 switchs and a control module.
        can you tell me what wire colors the engine tank switc assy has?

Comment

This may not be proper to post here, but here is something from a different site. It has a troubleshooting chart and info from Rod
          If you do a search like Rod said you will find info like it
          forums.iboats.com/yamaha-suzuki-outboards/yamaha-200hp-oil-transfer-issues-no-automatic-transfer-440420.html

Comment

thanks! the link and google hints explained things nicely should be able to narrow down the problem now without much trouble. seems this problem mainly caused by that expensive module going bad.

Comment

in the past 15-18 years I have seen maybe 4 bad modules.
              switch failures and pinched wires maybe but actual bad modules are rare.
              on the original modules,no grn/white wire to the CDI unit, low battery voltage can cause pump run on.
              and we still dont know what wire colors are on your switch.

Comment

gobbledok
                If you have not noticed Rodbolt is waiting on you to give him the wire colors, do not keep him waiting as I am sure he has some more info for you

Comment

yes sorry forgot to answer rodbolt the wires are black brown red white.
                  i am testing it now to try and eliminate things

shorting the white and black wire does not turn off pump
                  voltage to module is 11.85v
                  the only way i can get pump to turn off is via the tilt switch inside the module.
                  with module disconnected there is no connection from blue wire to ground.

seems to be module problem to me but im not electronics expert so suggestions welcome thanks

Comment

carefully check the module grounds.
                    with the key on engine off short the white module wire to engine ground.
                    while grounded now measure module input voltage.
                    white to black should shut it off,unless the white or black is open.
                    I hate replacing expensive electronic parts until all other items have been at least double checked.
                    new module kit will come with some extra wires and 6 spark plug caps.

Comment

ok checked all the ground wires and they were fine so grounding the white didnt do anything different. only thing i noticed was yellow wire voltage dropped to 11.25v when module is connected. is that still ok for it to operate?

Comment

Does anyone know what oil unit part I would order from boats.net. It was bought in 1987 but not sure if thats the year the boat is
                        the sticker says
                        115AETO 6E5-L-359011

Comment

Not a US model so you may want to contact your local Yamaha dealer for the correct part #

Comment

Trying to help searched on my files and didn't found a match with a US/CAN model for your 115AETO

All I can tell you is that the motor was manufactured in 1986

I guess you should follow the 99yam40 sugestion

Good luck.

Comment

but... some US/CAN models have the same code 6E5

not 115A

115BET = C115TLR C115TLRS C115TLRT C115TLRU C115TLRV C115TLRW C115TXR C115TXRS C115TXRT C115TXRU C115TXRV C115TXRW (depending on serial number)

115CET = C115TLR C115TXR (depending on serial number)

Comment

Working...
                              X