No announcement yet.

Help me find out where the water would pump out on my 6hp 1986 yamaha outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find out where the water would pump out on my 6hp 1986 yamaha outboard

just bought it. cleaned the carb out and put in new gasket
    fired right now and runs smooth but was not pissing any water
    so i did not run it more then a min.

ran perfect

would this model piss water and where would it come out of
    1986 6LJ 6hp yamaha tiller

was running off muffs for my 70hp yamaha
    they were a little big put i just turn the pressure up more then usual on the water and i know it was getting plenty. even pinched the muff with clamp

also i have been looking around for a impeller and can not find any luck on getting one for a 86 or one compatible with it

any help greatly appreciated trying to get on the water soon with my gheenoe

Part # for the impeller is 6G1-44352-00-00. I was looking at a drawing for your motor and I believe it does not have a tell tell (pee stream from the cowling). I may be wrong but didnt see one. It may vent the water from the exhaust. I hope this helps. Seem to be simple little motors. Good luck!

Comment

yea deff a little simple machine.
      previous owner winterized it for a long sleep
      and whaaalaaa 6 years later and one carb kit it started first pull.

just i know about outboards and most of them piss.
      so i figured lets not heat the bad boy up.

any signs that i can look for if it does have a pee hole and its not pumping water and starts to heat up. i tried putting hand on top cylinder while i was running it for the min i had it fired. but it didnt feel to get untouchable hot.

Comment

If you can hold your hand there without pulling it away for the pain, most likely your not over heating. If you have a tell tell, you should see a rubber hose running from your block to the lower cowling where it would exit. If you dont see this, it most likely exits through your exhaust.

Comment

ok right on mid section where sometimes ive seen two holes that some exhuast smoke and water will come out of ive seen on my uncles 200hp 2 stroke.
          dam thing smokes you out when flushing at home.

but anyways ive seen them where there is water coming out of exhaust port on mid section

and on mine there is a small hole on left crease of the front of the midsection
          but motor has been mostly in fresh water so i couldnt even look to see if there was any run down corrosion marks where water would overtime run down and mess the paint up from salt.

but theres nothing. ill take some pics tomorrow morning

i only ran it for a min , and ran it on high idle.
          basiacally put it in forward for 10 secs and reverse for 10 secs then left it on idle and was looking for any visible water peeing and then thats when i put my finger on head to see if it was hot which it was hot but not like hot where feel the heat before you touch it.

just dont want to burn it up or lock it up before even mounting it to the gheenoe. should i run it in trash can full of water? (clean trash can)
          and run it. i have a digital temp gauge used to stick in food to see how hot it is. it goes up to 500 degrees. does anyone know when overheating would be at what degree. ill just hold it on the block till it goes to overheat temp. in which ill know if i need to replace impeller then. or if it runs at normal operating temp for 10 mins or so then i know everything should be fine and wont have to worry about impeller working

Comment

I dont have a manual on that motor so Im not sure what the operating temp. is suppose to be. I could guess and say around 140-180 degrees. But I can tell you that it does have a thermostat also. Just FYI Part #6E5-12411-20-00

Comment

Yamaha 6hp Outboard Running - YouTube check out this video and see if its similar to your motor. You can see where there is a small amount of water coming from the bottom of the cowling.

Comment

yamaha out boat engine 6hp!! - YouTube Or this one?

Comment

i have exact one of the second link you sent me. ill fill up my small trash can tomorrow and run it in that. maybe if i have it submerged ill get a better pick up on the water circulation.

ill look at the area on left side of the motor where it was pissing in second video

Comment

where is thermostat located and how to replace. i know impeller is in lower unit and have done a few impeller swaps in my day

Comment

Check out this link 1986 6LJ Yamaha Outboard Parts it has your full motor parts break down with part numbers. I dont know if I'm putting Yamaha outboard parts forums competitors out there. Hope i didnt step on any toes. But this link is very useful. Check it out.

Comment

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...sNxZuCbNhD2VLo

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...uU2LpybtvwoeQ8

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...hOrc6cC2m9J77U

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...rLCVrf6iiIfSbM

those are the 4 pics i took this morning. started first pull and filled my trash can with fresh water.
                        still no stream of water. ran for 5 mins. got hot but forgot to set my temp reader on block. didnt get unbearably hot but probaly normal operating temp. no overheating smoke. nice thin blue smoke from exhaust is water. but no peeing out

if you notice on one pic and like in the youtube video you showed me. the left side under the cowling is a little notch that sticks out. was thinking it might be clogged maybe. very small outlet. how would i go about unclogging it the right way
                        Last edited by duncantech2010; 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Well I always use a straightend paper clip and while the motor is running probe around until it starts peeing again. But in your case, I would definatley replace the impeller. The motor sitting up for that long would cause it to dry rot and you may have no fins left on that thing. But try probing the outlet first and see if you can get it to going. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi guys -- I realize this is an old post, but since I'm having the same problem, I thought I'd check in with you. 1987 2 stroke 6hp outboard (Serial 6SH-011172). I see a little pee hole where water should exit, but when I run the engine, nothing comes. I recently purchased this used and i believe it say for a while. Changed plugs, fogged it, new gas etc. I took off the lower unit and put in a new impeller and gasket. No water exiting on start up. Ran it for a few mins. I tested the lower unit by removing it again, submerging it in a bucket and attaching my drill on the shaft (spinning it clockwise in neutral). I can see the impeller spinning but NO WATER up through the pump. I ran a wire from below the impeller gasket down to the intakes (could see the wire through the intake holes), so there is definitely an open pathway for water.
                            I'm pretty stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Comment

Help me understand.

If you know that it is an old post then why would you ride on it instead of starting your own new post?

Is it easier to ride another man's post instead of starting your own post?
                              Last edited by boscoe99; 11-07-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X