X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40tlr

Hi guys.
    I am working on an F40tlr.
    When i first looked at this engine it had a broken nipple on the fuel pump which i replaced.
    Ran fine for say 20mins under load then began to misfire on number 2. I changed the plugs (they looked ok) and ran ok for another short while before doing the same.
    swapped number 2 coil pack with number 1 and still number 2 is misfiring.
    remove carbs and clean number 2, was very clean no signs of water or any corrosion.
    engine runs again with same prob after about 5 mins.
    carbies off again all given the once over and again she runs fine for about 10 mins before spitting the dummy again.
    pulled the plugs again just for a look and number one looks to be burning a little lean and number 2 very lean (all white).
    I have cleaned out fuel system twice when i pulled the carbs.
    seems to me like something blocking a jet after running that short while but i just had carbs off again and everything seems fine.
    I am really stuck as to what to look at next any help much appreciated.
    BTW Im a diesel mechanic with experience on petrol engines (cars bikes) but no out boards. I dont have a manual for this engine and there wont be one available in the near future as I am located in a remote area.
    thanks.

F40 2011 issue with fuel

Hi having almost same problem how new is your motor is it a 4 stroke
    There is a water/fuel cooler on mine it may be vapor locking
    Temp of fuel is turning into a vapor.
    Also there is a jet problem with these motors smaller holes then normal..
    I've got mine in the shop now, first place couldn't find any thing wrong lol
    The funny thing if I dump my fuel reserve inside cover and pump fuel back into it. It will run fine, but if I idle down a bayou for 15-20 min then hammer it no fuel spitting and acting stupid..

Comment

Cheers for the reply Sammplai,
      negative on the fuel cooler though, its straight from fuel fitting - secondary filter - carbies.
      Im sure all fuel passages/jets are clear I found the carbs fairly simple to work on bowl off and top plate removed.
      .................................................. ....................... ........... .... .. .

Comment

Originally posted by justcallmecam View Post
        Cheers for the reply Sammplai,
        negative on the fuel cooler though, its straight from fuel fitting - secondary filter - carbies.
        Im sure all fuel passages/jets are clear I found the carbs fairly simple to work on bowl off and top plate removed.
        .................................................. ....................... ........... .... .. .
        if you have access to a ultrasonic cleaner, try one of those then.
        i´ve done lots of these engines (named F40B in Sweden)
        and it actually isn´t a very good engine, have replaced a number of carbs over the years.

try brotch(spelled right?) the jets, mainly the one on the top in the corner, Yamaha had a modify champaign on that couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
        X