X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAMAHA 85 AET need info

Hi i have recently purchased a shetland 570 boat with an 85 Yamaha outboard

YAMAHA 85 AET , CODE: 688 L 412659

anyone know how old the outboard is and where i could get a manual for it?

main reason to identify the wiring!

any comments welcome

Thanks folks.

Angus

Hi!

The model year is 1978

Have a look on attachment and hope it may help.

Good luck
    Last edited by almetelo; 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

thanks

hey thanks for the info, that looks exactly like it. i notice the manual is for an AED and not AET, will that make a difference?

much gratitude for the info

Comment

Are you sure this a 1978...? According to my serial number list the production for this model started at 412019 in 1990. In 1991 it started at 412795. Since 412659 fits right in there I believe this engine is actually a 1990..

Comment

Hi JARB!

The info I have is that 688 code (85A) is from 1978 (year of 1st production I guess) doesn´t mean that motor is from 1978.

I don't have access for the years of motors by serial number but if you have that info you can be right!

EX: I do have a 30D code 6J8 from 1985 and I bought mine brand new in 1995

Like "discussed" on a previous post the letters aren't very important but the code is.

Comment

Yamaha can make quite big changes of the motor without changing the code. Only when they change out something major they change the code. So model year is important when ordering spares and sometimes you need the serial too.

A funny thing is that the model code can differ although the engines are the same. I too have a Yamaha 30D but my code is 6N3. The only difference from a same year 6J8 is that mine is made in France, yours in Japan..

Comment

i have found that that the boat was made in the second half of 1980 according the boats serial number.

is there any other number on or around the engine that could clarify which one it is?

Comment

Most likely the motor is a 1990 according to my serial number list. Since the boat is English I assume you are located somewhere in Europe, UK maybe. Just call your nearest Yamaha-dealer and he will look it up for you..

Comment

hi yes im in Scotland,UK but on offshore islands so dont have a yamaha dealer. i will get in touch with a mainland uk one at some point.

would you know if this outboard charges the battery? a lot of the wiring is corroded within the boat and i am replacing it all. hard to identify anything

Comment

Yes it does, the charging output is around 10A.

Comment

Hi JARB!

Thanks for info and just let me tell you anytime I ordered parts never asked me the year when I have the code and always fits hi!

Can you check your "book" and tell the year of this PRO V 100:
                      code:64W S/N:300419

Comment

The number fits in the 1996 model year run.

Comment

Hi!

Thanks!

Did a quick search on google to "yamaha 30d 6n3" and didn't found many information about this code.

You seems to be a very good informed guy so let do another question please.

Who is the EU importer of Yamaha outboards if exist one for EU? Is in Netherlands?

Because I do have F4AMH and my yamaha dealer gave me a paper saying that motor "entered in EU" by Netherlands costumes.

Comment

well found some info , after some hard internet surfing. here is some links for 85aet owners

owners manual : http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com....8-28199-S9.pdf

Yamaha Rigging Guide 2002

Yamaha 85 hp Origin Outboards

Comment

Originally posted by JARB View Post
                              Most likely the motor is a 1990 according to my serial number list. Since the boat is English I assume you are located somewhere in Europe, UK maybe. Just call your nearest Yamaha-dealer and he will look it up for you..
                              Hi JARB

we've just acquired an old military use RIB with an 85 AET 688L engine, serial 400 400 with no history, manuals: nothing. We're hoping to restore both to usable condition but don't know where to start with the engine. You seem to have serial number data? Could you possible help by giving us an idea of the build year?

Comment

Working...
                              X