Oil filter cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter cleaning

The motor is a Yami v200tlrz - year 2001 - and as it get older I'm trying to stay ahead of the trouble curve by anticipating problems.

Today while reading my owner's manual I discovered that the on-board oil tank has a filter in it. Should that be occasionally removed and cleaned? If so, what's the best method of cleaning?

As I mentioned, it's not giving me a problem but as far as I know it's never been cleaned in it's 11 years of operation.

Thanks!

Tony

if you need to clean the engine tank screen FIRST tilt the engine, DRAIN the water trap and any debris on the tank bottom.
    once the screen is removed make SURE the seal is removed and discarded,
    NEVER reuse the seal.
    also a good time to service the remote tank filter as well.
    once finnished return the engine to a level position.
    make sure the remote tank is at least 1/2 full.
    reinstall the water trap(which should be checked montly) and turn the key to on, DO NOT start the engine.
    you should get an alarm audible and all bars flashing on the tach and a tank refill in 180 seconds.

Comment

I appreciate the detailed instructions and I do understand the process now.

Is the seal you mentioned the Gasket, Strainer Cover 6E5-13414-00-00?

Also, my water trap is black and opaque so I'd like to replace that but on the exploded view on Boats.net I don't see it listed as a part for purchase. Are they indeed available?

As for cleaning the oil strainer, should I just use compressed air to blow out debris or maybe soak it in a solution or something like that?

Rodbolt I sincerely appreciate your time and advice.

Comment

blow it out with carb cleaner.
        part numbers I dont get involved much on this site.
        boats.net will.

Comment

The seal he is talking about is number 4 in this diagram, one at bottom of screen. 2001 VZ200TLRZ Yamaha Outboard OIL TANK Diagram and Parts
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Boats.Net....is the water trap available to buy from you? If so, please provide a part number.

Thanks to both Rodbolt and Boats.net

Comment

Yes it's part number 6E5-13448-00-00
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Project complete and seems to working well. I did also clean the remote tank in-line filter and when I sprayed Seafoam through it (against the flow) the first stuff out was some gray/black crud so it needed the cleaning for sure.

Question: The level on the engine oil tank is now 3/4" lower than it was before the process, but still well within the lines. Is that for any particular reason? Just want to be sure I reassembled it correctly.

Thanks!!

Comment

normal,it will finnish filling at restart.

Comment

Working...
                  X