RPM's up and down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM's up and down

I have twin 2000 150 outboards two strokes and on my last trip out we *****ed for about two hours at 5MPH. When I powred up to about 20MPH one of the motors statred changing RPM's from 2200 down to 1100 and up and down that way until I decided to go back to port. I have a fairly new Fuel Water seperator on it. What could be causing this?

what model ##

Comment

RPM'S up and down

it is a sx150txry

Comment

your describing a classic loss of fuel rail pressure.
        either the VST cant get fuel or the VST filter is clogged with debris.

Comment

RPM's up and down

I had what i think is the VST cleaned in May. Does the VST look like the shape of a fuse with brass ends. My boat is in Mexico and I had someone interpert to the mecannic that i wanted the VST filters cleaned. I watched him take out them and scrape off what appeared to be carbon build up. is that what you are talking about?

Comment

no, your describing the o2 sensor draw tube now.
            the vst is the AL tank on the fwd port side of the motor.

Comment

RPM"S up and down

That makes since it did not look like a filter at all. I have been doing reserch on the VST and just ordered a new one and o ring for that motor. Seems to be a lot of work to get to it. I was wondering what the average time is start to finish. And do you think i should replace the pump or anything else while it is opened up? My port motor is working fine but I know now that the VST filter has never been cleaned or replaced. So do you think I can get by on just cleaning that one and replacing the o ring?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

45 minutes per engine.

Comment

Hi i just wanted to say thanks for your suggestion. The VST filter was the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X