Yamaha C80 overheat alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha C80 overheat alarm

I was out this weekend at Crystal River Fl doing some scalloping and set my overheat alarm off twice on my Yamaha C80 after idling through a long no wake zone with a lot of sea weed. The alarm didn't go off until I was back on plane again for about 4-5 minutes. This happened in same no wake zone going to and from the gulf. I moved out of channel and tilted motor up to find seaweed wrapped around the intake on the foot of motor. I removed the seaweed and started motor up again and let idle until alarm went off within 30-45 seconds. The water pump impeller was replaced this year along with the housing, t-stat and pop off valve, motor is peeing strong. Is it common for seaweed to cause this on Yamaha motors? I noticed all other brands and newer model Yamahas not having this same problem. At what temp does the overheat alarm and reduced rpm go off at? I will be doing a compression check to insure motor is still at 120 psi on all 3.

Check impeller also as it will melt if restricted and no water flow just like all other motors.

Comment

If motor is still peeing strong, and not running hot would it be safe to assume that impeller is not melted? The impeller is less than a year old.

Comment

Working...
      X