Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPDI 200 Problems in Paradise

Hi,
    Returning poster here from a different location. While there are many Yamahas here, very few know how to trouble shoot and fix difficult problems.
    My problem(s):
    Have 2 200 HP HPDI's. The boat was stolen 4 months ago, engines removed and later recovered. Rehung engines, replaced rigging, got them running, and have had problems ever since.
    STB: Engine will not run in idle or gear. Starts runs @ 600RPM, then dies. YDS tells me intermittent shift sensor (Anybody know the part number for this?). All other readings are within parameters.
    Port: Engine will not idle. Dies after running @ 600 rpm after a few seconds. Will run when put into gear (forward & reverse..all rpms). No errors on the YDS. Advancing the throttle in neutral causes engine to stall.
    I am at my wits end in trying to figure out these problems.
    Many thanks.

Need to run VST fuel pressure test, what high fuel pressure did YDS show? Did you check shift switch operation with YDS? What cylinders are firing at idle and what are firing in gear on YDS? What was TPS reading at idle?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Stb: HP Fuel....707.17, LP Fuel.......4.88MPa, Error Code # 28, Shift Position, irregular signal (verified w/meter).
      Port: HP Fuel 673.86, LP Fuel.......4.65 MPa.
      All cylinders firing.

Comment

Forgot TPS

Stb: 1.14v
        Port. 0.84v

cylinders: All fire in gear. Two drop in neutral.

Comment

TPS should be set at .060-.062 volts at idle, need to sync and adjust TPS.
          Back idle speed screw off, loosen throttle linkage screws to set all throttle plates completly closed, tighten screws and adjust idle screw until TPS is .060 -.062 volts.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

actually you need to set TPS voltage to .5V with the shutters fully closed and the idle stop screw not touching, then ajust the stop screw until your TPS reads .62 plus or minus .02.
            that will get you very close on that.
            shift switch wont affect idle other than dropping the cylinders as designed.
            myself I would check the firing Kv on all 6 cylinders.
            the engine does not monitor medium pressure fuel just high pressure.
            my stevens timing light can actually trigger off the injector firing voltage to check the driver.
            without a model number I dont know if you have the single driver or dual driver setup.
            was made both ways.
            if you rev the motor in N it will throw a shift position error.
            rather common.

Comment

Thanks & will check

Thanks for the replies so far.
              I thought that the TPS voltage was off. This is the Stb engine. The shift sensor is definitely toast, in metering it with the shift in all positions, there is no continuity. Does anybody know the part number for this?
              This engine just starts and dies. Haven't been able to figure a way to keep it running.
              The port engine is vexing as well. Will not run in idle, but runs perfectly in gear. When I advance the throttle in neutral, it just sputters and dies. I am suspecting a clogged injector that takes out the engine when the two cylinders are dropped. I'm just guessing, though.
              The high pressure readings for both engines seem to be in spec. If this wasn't the case, I would be thinking a fuel problem. Man, it is frustrating.

Comment

I think I would call my insurance agent and see if they could total it for me!

Just a thought.

Aint nuthin like new motors!

Comment

as I still dont know the model number I cant say much more than the shift position switch must work properly or the engine wil either remain on 4 cyl operation or the RPM will be locked below about 2300 RPM.
                  like i SAID, i WOULD TEST THE FIRING kV AT THE PLUG LEAD.
                  AFTER REPAIRING/REPLACING THAT FAILED SWITCH.
                  the firing Kv gives a quick indication of is it making spark? if voltage is low it indicates a failed plug or compression loss.
                  if voltage is high it can indicate a bad plug or resistor cap.
                  typical voltage for the EKS plug is about 7Kv, for the EKU plugs its about 10 Kv.
                  however without a model number,and possibly some other observations, I cant tell if your plugs are the EKS or EKU design.

Comment

Progress

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I spent all of yesterday replacing all of the fuel filters in both engines as well as the main 10 microns. Replaced the shift switch and adjusted the TPS. The filters were pretty bad. The engines are running pretty well now, but I have an intermittent drop out of one cylinder on one engine. I checked the spark plug wires and they seem ok. I wonder if I have a bad coil. Man, this is frustrating.

Comment

Might want to have the injectors checked out/cleaned if all the filters had problems.
                      Not sure if Rodbolt will have more info as you still have not furnished model #s or other info and tested like he recommended, but maybe

Comment

Working...
                      X