intermittent starter and tilt motor clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent starter and tilt motor clicking

Looking for feedback about the risk of a solar panel backfeeding power to my 1999 40 HP 2 stroke. I added a 6V solar panel wired directly to the battery--there is a diode on the panel to prevent battery discharge.
    Now, my control box is wired through the battery switch, so when the switch is off, I cannot turn on instruments, start or tilt the engine, so I have assumed the engine and control box is protected/isolated from the battery.
    I went to start it a day after the battery being connected to the solar panel, and both the tilt motor and starter motor just click away---like there is not enough amps getting to them. The battery voltage reads 12.5V, however.
    So I assume my battery is fried--it was a well used deep cycle--and I run and get a "dual purpose" battery and hook it up. exact same thing happens.
    So now I am thinking I fried the tilt and starter motors...
    But 10 min later after checking connections, etc. everything works fine.

So I either have a loose connection somewhere, or I was thinking there was some sort of timed protection that was tripped due to the solar panel somehow back powering directly to the engine?

Thanks for advice or just telling me I am reaching...

why would you hook up a 6V panel to a 12V battery?

You probably had a bad connection and when checking them you made a better connection.

Comment

sorry--I meant 6 watts. it was just to keep the battery topped off so I could keep auto bilge on. the only thing I would add to my original post was that I was pushing the key in, which I assumed didn't matter one way or another.

Comment

pretty sure I figured this out. I had one hot lead for the control box on the battery that was either loose (or the crimped ring on the wire was not flat). Even though I thought the wing nuts on the terminal were tightened, there weren't tight enough. Once I made sure this connection was really tight, so far so good. Had just never hear that weird clicking before... had nothing to do with a 6 watt solar charger.

Comment

Bad connections on battery wing nuts tend to be a problem, replace with nuts and lock washers and tighten properly

Comment

Working...
          X