Yamahas Fuel Treatment Reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamahas Fuel Treatment Reccomendations

I have always used Startron,to deal with ethanol issues, but a mechanic said at a Yamaha class they reccomended Stabil Marine Formula.Thought I would post the question here.I know many folks have there favorite gas additive IE Stabil,Startron,Sea Foam but was hoping to hear from someone who actually had Yamaha's opinion firsthand.Not sure if Yamaha makes there own ethanol treatment,like ring-free for carbon or recommends one brand over another.

Should be lots of opinions and ideas on this subject, but I can tell you what I've used with success: Ringfree for carbon and Stabil to stabilize all the time with a fuel/water separator canister filter, drain carbs a couple of times a year(especially at winterizing time), never any fuel problems....Good Luck!

Comment

I've used Startron for almost 5 years in both my F115 and my F150 and have never had a fuel related problem with either motor! Until I do, I'll stick with the Startron!

Comment

i use stabil marine all the time,ringfree about 5 times a year,800 hours on my 200 hpdi,runs great

Comment

I have always used Startron but when the mechanic told me a Yamaha rep specifically recommended Stabil Marine formula he got my attention.I have a, non-injected, 2 stroke and between mixing oil,ringfree and Startron I always feel like a chemist when filling up the tank.

Comment

I was also told by my marina to use stabil marine product, then also occaisonally run the ring free few times a year. Only on first tank so far so no evidence this is good or bad just yet...

Comment

Nothing but sea foam here.

Comment

Check this site: Marine Fuel Additives for lots of information about products, ingredients, applications, etc. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Chum View Post
                  Nothing but sea foam here.
                  Gotta agree, use it everywhere. But at 1-oz/gal can get real expensive on a boat. Ring free seems to work pretty well with me.
                  1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                  1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

There's 2 problems/solutions here, one is a fuel Stabilizer that prevents fuel from degrading over time, and the other is a Carbon preventer/remover. The Yamaha Ringfree is a special amine made for Yamaha by Oronite Additives Division of Chevron, for Carbon. The Stabil is sold as a Stabilizer only. The Seafoam is sold as a do-it-all and been around a long time. Just have to pick your poison and go with it!

Comment

Working...
                    X