Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression issue

Bare with me this will be long.
    I have a 2008 225 HPDI that two weeks ago in the middle of about a twelve mile run just shut down. Didn't sound like a sieze, more like turned off key. After checking oil tanks fuel filters for water ETC... I finally got it to fire up. Doesn't sound too bad just idles rough with a little gas it does fine. Full thottle is as good as its ever been. RPM=5800 GPS 72mph on a skeeter zx225,with full fuel, oil, two people and a tournament load of gear. I first thought it got a gulp,of water, so I changed the water separator. The tech said he tought he saw a little water in it when we poured it out. Checked plugs and top starboard was a bit sooty so i changed it. Fished another tournament this week end and it started fine, not rough at all. But after same run when i went to crank it it was hard to start. Finally got it going ran rest of day, rough idle WOT was great. Got home pulled plugs same deal, checked compression, and found top cyl. @ about 70psi the rest are 115 or better. No metal on either plug i pulled, plug not wet. If I have dropped a jug, would I not see some performance issues? What else could cause this. I am going to tripple dose one tank with ring free, and put it on flush boot for a couple hours, to see if i can free up possible a stuck ring, before i pull the head off.
    could a defective injector caUSE loss of comp? What is fuel rail psi normally? and is there anything im overlooking? Head gasket looks good as far as i can see.

45psi low on compression is too low and will affect the way it runs. Any number of things could cause a compression loss, the most common one is a lean fuel condition and it needs to have all fuel pressure and vacuum test run including connecting to computer diagnostic to check high pressure pump.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

compression

Found problem. Took head off and found piece of piston gone. A inch and a quarter piece of the piston in the exhast port is gone, but the rings are still intact, and the cylinder wall will only require a few minutes with a dingleberry hone. That explains the lock up, when the piece caught the exhast port it locked up momentarily. Now my problem is what caused it and will it happen again? I got good pics if I can figure out how to upload them. Got two quotes both about 1500.00 and close to 1200.00 of it is labor. RIDICULOUS!!
      Attached Files

Comment

yep, looks like it was a lean condition in my opinion. need to find out why or it will do it again

Comment

Originally posted by maxfli11 View Post
          Found problem. Took head off and found piece of piston gone. A inch and a quarter piece of the piston in the exhast port is gone, but the rings are still intact, and the cylinder wall will only require a few minutes with a dingleberry hone. That explains the lock up, when the piece caught the exhast port it locked up momentarily. Now my problem is what caused it and will it happen again? I got good pics if I can figure out how to upload them. Got two quotes both about 1500.00 and close to 1200.00 of it is labor. RIDICULOUS!!
          This seems like a reasonable price. What's involved with replacing piston & rings on a big 6-cyl? Do you also replace wrist pin & brg?
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

While your in there you might as well put new bearings in it.

Comment

repair

After looking closer at the job, you have to split the crank case to get to the pistons. I'll give em a grand for labor and say its a heck of a deal. I wouldn't tackle it 2000.00.

Comment

Working...
              X