steering cable frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering cable frozen

My 1988 yamaha 70hp steering cable is frozen inside the tilt tube. After disconnecting the steering linkage and starboard cable nut, I tried to bang it out (with liberal amounts of lubricatant) from port to starboard but it's not gonna make it. Should I consider cutting the cable and start banging starboard to port? Suggestions welcomed. thanks. first time poster.

Hi, get it out any you can. If you have to cut the cable, do it. It is trashed anyway. Try not to damage the tilt tube. been there, done that. Sometimes no matter how you try to stay on top of things, this kind of thing happens. I once had to remove the motor from the boat, to have room to beat on the steering push rod. If you are going to keep the boat for the next few years, you might want to make the investment in Hydrolic steering. It is expensive, but well worth it, if you intend to keep the boat. It is usually trouble free, and a minuem of maintenance.
    Good luck. If you have anything else let us know.
    DG

Comment

thanks DG, will get after it tomorrow.

Comment

successful today. cut the cable and knocked the steering cable starboard to port by banging on a nut driver I placed over the sawed off cable end. at first it did not want to go but after I put a pipe wrench on the cable section sticking out on the port side and torqued it, it loosened up and I was able to bang it out. afterwards I cleaned the tilt tube with a bristle brush and gasoline to remove old grease and crud. then I put an 8 inch length of coat hanger wire with sand paper taped to it into my rotary dremel and cleaned up out interior surface corrosion from the tube. looks pretty good now and is ready for a new cable assy. I will stay on top of this maintenance item from now on.

Comment

get the best marine grade lube you can find and install a grease fitting to keep it lubed

Comment

Working...
          X