Starter Motor Slow to Engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor Slow to Engage

I have a 1987 Yamaha 115 ETXH that has run like a top for me for the past 4 1/2 years. This year I have had a few problems with the engine. The first problem involved severe idling problems at low speed that were completely resolved through a carb rebuid.

However, I continue to experience what I can only describe as the Starter Motor is Slow to Engage. I have a brand new battery and recently installed a new starter motor, but I continue to experience a hesitation from when I turn the key and when the starter motor engages.

While the Starter Motor always does engage, this is the first year I have experience this problem. I have looked and cleaned all of the connections for the Solenoid and the Starter Relay Assembly but continue to experience this hesitation even with the new starter motor.

The best way to describe it is when I turn the key to start the engine it takes approximately 1 -1 1/4 seconds for the starter motor to engage and spin. While it always spins there never was this delay.

I wonder if it is the starter solenoid showing signs of failing? Any ideas?

Well that leaves the ignition switch, starter solenoid, battery cables, neutral safety switch and main wire harness. You need to run voltage test through start circuit to see where losing voltage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I experienced a similar behavior on my Yamaha 9.9 when I moved my alternator wire to a place where it
      would register on my ammeter. I found when I moved it back to an almost direct connection to the batteries, the cranking vastly improved. There is probably some resistance in the path through the ammeter. I will probably go back when I have time and try cleaning all the wire connections to the ammeter path, but for now, starting the engine is more important. I have heard it said that using too long of a wire lead or too small a wire gauge to the
      batteries can also produce these effects.

Comment

Working...
      X