High idle in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle in neutral

Hey, guys I need your help. I have a 92 130. I've only taken it out twice this year. It has always idled a bit high when in neutral around 2000 rpm's, but when it's in gear the rpm's drop to 1000. Today on the way back to the ramp when I took it out of gear it slowly jumped up to 3500 rpm's and it seemed like it wasn't going to stop so I shut it down. Cranked it back up twice with the same results for neutral but once I put it in gear the rpm's would drop to around 1000. Turned it off and let it sit there for 5 min. before I started it back up again and it ran at about 1900 rpm's. Any idea what go could be happening?

Thanks,

that idle is way to high..you need to fix it. I am not sure if you need a linkage adjustment, timing adjustment or have a carb sucking air or all three. But you definatley need to fix the problem. you will end up damaging your gear case. it needs to be down around 900 RPM. are you sure your tach is working properly??

Comment

I had similar and found a wire tie holding the throttle open.

Comment

Check to see what the timing is doing with a timing light, as that will swing the RPM widely if the TPS wiper is flaking out.
        Other than that I would say check your carb linkage for some thing holding them open

Comment

solved the problem in ten minutes

Found the problem! Finally something something easy to fix on the boat. The Collar (part 33) that allows the Cam Accel. (part 32) to rotate was so rusted that it had swelled and it was preventing the Cam to from moving freely. Cleaned everything up and *** what a difference that made. The engine runs so much better, the response is instant, and I can adjust the control with one finger. It's like having a new motor. The Collar is the only thing that needed to be replaced $3.72. The washer, bolt, and cam were fine. While looking at the parts on boats.net I noticed that this part has been used on the 115's and the 130's for over twenty years.

hope this helps
          Attached Files

Comment

I've always wondered if that part along with all the other linkage that has those plastic retainer/bushings should be greased with something. I'm afraid that grease will degrade the plastic. Doesn't say anything in the book about lubing that stuff.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Well done !
              @ Tucker: I always apply some white grease on any and every sliding surface on the engine. So all the control surfaces are greased, and I replace it once every year, since it tends to dry out...

Comment

better photo

Here's the part.
                Attached Files

Comment

I got 200's so a little different. Is the part that cams against the carb linkage? Did you check the round roller on the carb linkage? Just looked at mine last night and it has a flat spot at the resting spot.
                  1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                  1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I'll check it on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                    X