2005 90TLRD Carb Cleaning Followup - Pics - Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 90TLRD Carb Cleaning Followup - Pics - Please help

I'm cleaning and rebuilding the carbs on my 2005 90TLRD, first time i've ever attempted this, and have a couple questions.

1st - When I take off the carb bowl, I see the two jets, but there's a rubber plug covering up the idle jet, never read or saw anything about this in my research. Each of the three carbs had this plug.

2nd - what is the purpose of the throttle linkage on the bottom carb, seems to originate from the fuel pump

3rd - Am I wasting my time by cleaning the carbs, which were pretty dirty, especially the middle & lower carb, and not cleaning out/replacing the fuel pump, hoses, etc.?

Thanks for your help all.
    2005 Xpress HD18CC
    2005 Yamaha 90

Rooting for the Yankees is like Rooting for the House in Blackjack

the jets under the rubber plugs are the pilot/idle jets.
    They are there for access to remove the jets.
    The fuel all normally flows the main jet to regulate the amount of fuel to each cylinder high and low RPMs. The plug makes sure that only the fuel metered though the main jet is used

While at low RPM the fuel flows through the main jet and then to the pilot jet through a drilled passage between them. make sure that passage is cleaned also.
    I do not have the info on the linkage.

Yes it is a must to clean the lines and fuel pump cavities to keep from sending more trash into the cleaned carbs.

Hopefully you have the service manual for your motor so you can adjust everything when they go back on

Comment

thanks for the info - I do have the service manual, but I didn't mess with the throttle linkage, just popped them of the carbs as is, and I recorded how many turns out my needle was...that's the only adjustments needed when i put them back on, right?
      2005 Xpress HD18CC
      2005 Yamaha 90

Rooting for the Yankees is like Rooting for the House in Blackjack

Comment

Look in the manual.
        Should have a link and sync procedure to do after reinstalling carbs as even just a little realignment of the carbs positions will need to make sure all shutters are set and opening exactly the same.
        Also make sure you keep track of which carb came from which spot and different carbs have different jets in them so do mot mix them up

Comment

Originally posted by murray8144 View Post
          1st - When I take off the carb bowl, I see the two jets, but there's a rubber plug covering up the idle jet, never read or saw anything about this in my research. Each of the three carbs had this plug.

2nd - what is the purpose of the throttle linkage on the bottom carb, seems to originate from the fuel pump

3rd - Am I wasting my time by cleaning the carbs, which were pretty dirty, especially the middle & lower carb, and not cleaning out/replacing the fuel pump, hoses, etc.?
          From your questions, I'm guessing your manual may not be from Yamaha. I'm not sure what yours includes, but the factory service manual from yamahapubs dot com for our 90TLRD has all linkages with adjustment guidance from marks on the block. No special tools required.

No, you're not wasting your time cleaning the carbs. If you're fuel system is older than 5 years, IMHO I'd replace everything between the tank and outboard and install a 20 micron water separating filter. That will keep you from doing it again. Everything is available online, takes less time than a trip to the dealer and costs less than a tank of gas.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

I just installed water seperator

Walmart has them and sportsmanguide coupon code $10off sn for members brings total $25 shipped. I needed to add fuel hose 8 feet A1 nmaa from hose dealer plus 90 degree fitings,stainless clamps total ouch $33. I had teflon liquid sealer think 4200 would work. Took me forever to install I had to stain a 2x6 board, then clear coat. I used liquid nails to attach to transom not wanting to drill any more holes. Looks proffesional my boat had easy access rear deck unscrewed. $58 and my time

Comment

Working...
            X